At a time of economic uncertainty, geopolitical instability, and emerging regulations, Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) efforts are at a pivotal moment. Additionally, amid a warming climate, shifting workforce needs, and increasing cybersecurity threats, the need to move beyond commitments and deliver measurable results has never been more urgent. Meanwhile, advancements in AI and machine learning provide us with an unmistakable opportunity to bake sustainability, equity and trust into our shared and rapidly growing digital future.
One thing is clear: if we’re going to both navigate challenges and capture opportunities, we can’t be complacent. We must continue to innovate and find smarter ways to accomplish our long-term aspirations.
Our 2023 ESG Report details how VMware applies its legacy of disruptive innovation to our ESG strategy, driving “Smart Impact.” With economic uncertainty persisting, there is an urgent need for real-world solutions. At VMware, we prioritize smarter, more focused actions that can help us achieve desired outcomes for our people, our customers and all our stakeholders. This includes engineering a more sustainable multi-cloud experience for our customers, reducing our own emissions to achieve net zero, empowering diverse and distributed workforces, and being a trusted supplier that ships more secure, privacy-aware solutions built on a responsible supply chain.
We made significant progress in the past year toward these goals, including:
- Launched the Green Score feature in VMware Aria Operations Cloud, which provides recommendations for customers to further optimize energy and carbon in their cloud environments
- Expanded the VMware Zero Carbon Committed initiative by adding 24 VMware Cloud Services Provider partners committed to renewable energy, reaching a total of more than 50 partners
- Met near-term, science-based targets as of FY23 to reduce Scope 1, 2 and Scope 3: Employee Commute absolute emissions
- Improved diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) representation with 33 percent of global hires self-identifying as a woman, and 16 percent of U.S. hires self-identifying as an underrepresented minority
- Enhanced VMware Anywhere Workspace solutions with VMware Workspace ONE Mobile Threat Defense to provide customers with added security for their distributed workforce
- Achieved a 100 percent malware protection score with VMware Carbon Black Cloud Endpoint Standard in an independent cybersecurity test by AV-Comparatives
- Added company-wide DEI goals as a component of funding for all bonus-eligible employees
Our annual report reflects the progress we’ve made toward our 2030 Agenda, and we invite you to learn more about the full breadth of our impact at VMware. While we recognize much work remains, VMware’s commitment to the 2030 Agenda is unwavering. I know that in our pursuit of sustainability, equity and trust, we’re committed to successfully charting a course through what’s next by prioritizing innovation and impact.
Learn more about VMware’s 2030 Agenda: www.vmware.com/company/esg
 AV-Comparatives. “Business Security Test 2022 (March–June).” July 10, 2022.