New Features Enable vCloud Air Network Service Providers to Build Hybrid Clouds for Easy Consumption in Minutes
PALO ALTO, CA–(Marketwired – Oct 8, 2014) – VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced the general availability of VMware vCloud Director® 5.6 the first release designed exclusively for VMware vCloud® Air™ Network service providers. The update to vCloud Director will provide access to new enhancements used in VMware vCloud® Air™ (formerly VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™). With vCloud Director 5.6, service providers can build differentiated hybrid cloud services that are the best fit for enterprise organizations.
“We continue to actively engage with our service provider partners, and are pleased to offer these enhancements to VMware vCloud Director®,” said Geoff Waters, vice president, Service Provider channel, Cloud Services Business Unit, VMware. “With VMware vCloud Director 5.6, we are providing the tools to VMware vCloud® Air™ Network service providers to continue to offer customers flexibility and choice of cloud platforms on a local basis.”
VMware vCloud Director orchestrates the provisioning of software-defined data center services, enabling service providers to deliver complete virtual data centers for easy consumption in minutes. As a result, service providers and their customers are able to move on-premises workloads to the cloud quickly, seamlessly and with confidence. VMware vCloud Director is also a foundational component of vCloud Air, the platform for cloud services delivered by VMware.
New Enhancements to vCloud Director 5.6 include:
- VM Disk Level Storage Profiles – Allows a single virtual machine (VM) to access different tiers of storage such as storage area network (SAN), network-attached storage (NAS), and local storage to help balance storage cost versus storage performance. VMware vCloud Director 5.6 also supports VMware Virtual SAN™.
- VMware NSX™ Support – Provides customers with simple, secure network virtualization and micro-segmentation via the VMware NSX platform, in addition to the current VMware vCloud® Networking and Security™ (vCNS) support.
- VM Monitoring Service – Provides visibility into current and historical VM performance metrics at an individual tenant level. Tenants can use this new capability to troubleshoot application performance issues, auto-scale their applications and perform capacity planning.
- Updated Software Development Kits (SDKs) to the vCloud API - New set of Java, PHP, and .NET SDKs with documentation and samples available.
- Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Ecosystem User Interface (UI) - Provides ISVs with a platform that allows them access to underlying vCloud Director capabilities through application programming interfaces (APIs). These APIs enable ISVs to build multiple, highly flexible UI based cloud-related services, such as VM monitoring, catalogs and vApps, on top of vCloud Director 5.6 that can be leveraged by service providers. All new functionalities within vCloud Director 5.6 are only available through APIs.
Pricing and Availability
- VMware vCloud Director 5.6 is available now for the VMware vCloud Air Network Service Providers.
- Visit the VMware vCloud Air online press kit to get service details and images
- To find a VMware vCloud Air Network Service Provider please visit: vcloudproviders.vmware.com
- Follow VMware vCloud on Facebook and Twitter
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2013 revenues of $5.21 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, VMware vCloud Air Network, VMware vCloud Air, vCloud Director, vCloud Hybrid Service, VMware vCloud Networking and Security and VMware NSX are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. and its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
VMware Global Communications
Hill+Knowlton Strategies for VMware