PALO ALTO, CA--(Marketwired - Sep 4, 2013) - VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced VMware Workstation™ 10, the latest version of its award-winning virtualization software. The solution showcases robust new features with unmatched operating system support, a rich user experience, a comprehensive feature set and high performance. VMware Workstation 10 is designed for professionals that rely on virtual machines to get their job done.
"The launch of VMware Workstation™ 10 is a significant milestone in our legacy of running virtual machines on a personal computer," said Jason Joel, director, personal products, VMware. "Powered by VMware's most advanced virtualization platform, VMware Workstation 10 takes virtualization to the next level, and continues VMware's tradition of delivering innovative features that technical professionals rely on every day."
Key new features in VMware Workstation 10 include:
- The Latest Operating Systems - Easy Install now recognizes Windows 8.1 and new Linux distributions to make it easier than ever to create the latest virtual machines. Computers running Windows 8.1 can be converted into virtual machines via an easy-to-use wizard.
- State of the Art Performance - VMware Workstation 10 enables virtual machines to be created with up to 16 vCPUs, 64GB of memory, 8 TB disks and adds faster USB connections, a new vSATA controller and twice as many virtual networks.
- Expiring Virtual Machines - Restricted virtual machines can be set to expire at a specified date and time. An expired virtual machine automatically suspends and will not restart without administrator intervention.
- Tablet Sensors - VMware Workstation 10 includes the industry's first virtual accelerometer, gyroscope, compass and ambient light sensor to enable applications running in a virtual machine to respond when a user interacts with their tablet.
- Run a Cloud on Your PC - VMware Workstation 10 lets users build a cloud on their PCs running popular applications from Pivotal, Puppet Labs and Vagrant.
Pricing and availability
VMware Workstation 10 is currently available for purchase for $249. Upgrades from VMware Workstation 8.x and 9.x are available for $119 at the VMware online store.
VMware customers who have purchased VMware Workstation 9 between Aug. 1, 2013 and Sept. 30, 2013 are eligible for a complimentary electronic upgrade to VMware Workstation 10.
For more details on VMware's complimentary electronic upgrade program visit the VMware Workstation Upgrade page.
Download a free trial at the VMware Workstation trial page.
- Learn more about VMware Workstation 10 on the VMware Workstation Zealot Blog
- Read more about the new features in VMware Workstation 10
- View and download screen shots of VMware Workstation 10
- Follow the VMware Workstation team on Twitter and Facebook
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2012 revenues of $4.61 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 55,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware and VMware Workstation are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
VMware Global Communications
Hill and Knowlton Strategies