VMware Delivers VMware ACE 2 Enterprise Edition
The Only Product That Allows IT Administrators to Centrally Manage and Control Virtual Desktops Installed on any PC; Pocket ACE Feature for Deployment to Portable Media Enables Users to Go Mobile with their Desktops
PALO ALTO, Calif., May 15, 2007 — VMware, Inc., the global leader in software for industry-standard virtualized desktops and servers, today announced the general availability of VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition. VMware ACE is a breakthrough product that enables IT desktop managers to create a standard PC environment including operating system, data and applications, wrap it with IT policies to protect the contents, package it into a virtual machine and deploy it to any managed or unmanaged licensed PC client.
The second generation, VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition, is designed to deliver the only highly controlled and easily managed enterprise-class virtualization product for deploying desktops to any PC, providing a rich virtual desktop environment to end users while maintaining the control required by the governing IT organization. The product also features Pocket ACE, which enables deployment of a full-featured desktop virtual machine to a portable media device such as a USB flash drive, portable hard drive or Apple iPod. End users can then securely access their standard corporate desktop from nearly any other client machine, from home laptops to business center PCs.
“VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition is a value-add to IT organizations because it allows desktop administrators to accommodate the increasing number of workers who use personal computers for work-related purposes,” said Jerry Chen, director of enterprise desktop platforms and solutions at VMware. “By offering the ability to distribute managed and controlled ‘virtual laptops’ that can be deployed anywhere, VMware ACE enables administrators to avoid investments in new hardware while keeping pace with a workforce that is increasingly moving outside traditional managed IT environments.”
VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition features the newly introduced VMware ACE Management Server, which allows IT administrators to centrally track and manage thousands of VMware ACE desktops and apply standard policies to them from a single console. As the first production-ready VMware virtual appliance, the VMware ACE Management Server is available pre-installed, pre-configured and ready to deploy. In addition, VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition utilizes the latest VMware virtualization platform, enabling IT administrators to use VMware Workstation 6 with the ACE Option Pack to create and securely package VMware ACE virtual machines for deployment to end users who then can run them on any licensed PC or laptop.
VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition benefits include:
- Streamlined enterprise desktop management: Supporting users on unmanaged hardware can require IT administrators to create, test, provision and migrate a separate desktop image for every flavor of PC hardware being supported. Administrators now can create standard desktop images using VMware Workstation 6, then deploy and manage them with the VMware ACE Management Server. This results in the ability to easily manage numerous virtual machines while reducing the number of images to create and enabling faster desktop deployments.
- Simplified policy control: A single management interface provides centralized policy management of desktop virtual machines deployed on existing PCs. The VMware ACE Management Server supports dynamic updates of IT policies and manages virtual machine expiration dates, device and network access configurations and activation or deactivation of VMware ACE clients at any time.
- Isolated environments: IT administrators can create secure and isolated VMware ACE desktop environments for use on existing PCs that are separate from the user’s personal settings. This allows administrators to manage and control the VMware ACE desktop without infringing on the user’s freedom to utilize PC features that might be restricted within the VMware ACE environment.
- Easy backup and recovery: IT administrators can take snapshots of stable virtual machine configurations and roll back to the previous state quickly and easily.
- Simplified end-user experience: VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition delivers a driver-free printing experience using ThinPrint’s .print technology.
- Expanded operating system support: In addition to support for Windows Vista, VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition offers Linux host operating system support for Mandriva, Novell, Red Hat and Ubuntu.
- Increased performance and memory support: VMware ACE 2 Enterprise edition leverages the latest virtualization platform from VMware, including support for USB 2.0, and supports up to 8GB of memory per virtual machine.
Pricing and Availability
VMware ACE 2 Enterprise Edition is available for download today at www.vmware.com/go/ace. The product is available in Starter ($999), Standard ($4,999) and Enterprise ($15,999) Kits, which include VMware Workstation 6 with the VMware ACE Option Pack, the VMware ACE 2 Management Server and up to 500 VMware ACE client licenses with the VMware ACE 2 Enterprise Kit. More detailed product and pricing information can be found at www.vmware.com/go/ace.
About VMware, Inc.
VMware, an EMC company (NYSE: EMC), is the global leader in virtual infrastructure software for industry-standard systems. The world's largest companies use VMware solutions to simplify their IT, fully leverage their existing computing investments and respond faster to changing business demands. VMware is based in Palo Alto, California. For more information, visit www.vmware.com or call 650-475-5000.
# # #
VMware is a registered trademark or trademark of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.