Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) has been central to VMware’s mission for many years. Our very first virtualization solutions avoided data center emissions and started us on our path to intrinsic sustainability. Since those early days, VMware has doubled down on its commitment to sustainability and has embedded ESG goals throughout the business. It’s our ambition to ensure every product we engineer delivers real business impact and is developed with sustainability, equity and trust at its core.
By leaning into this and designing a more sustainable multi-cloud, VMware is helping customers decarbonize their digital infrastructure, supporting their distributed workforce and helping them to better protect themselves through enhanced data privacy and security. Concurrently, VMware is on track to achieve net zero carbon emissions for its operations and supply chain by 2030 and is embodying responsible business practices to be a trusted supplier.
I’m proud of VMware’s culture of transparency and continued commitment to innovation, and am excited to share VMware’s 2023 ESG Report, which highlights our collective ESG achievements and progress toward our 2030 Agenda. The theme of this year’s report is ‘Smart Impact’, reflecting VMware’s ESG strategy to focus on where we can deliver the most significant results and help drive outcomes for customers, partners, employees and the world. Some of these results include:
- Launched VMware Green Score in VMware Aria Operations Cloud, which provides recommendations for customers to further optimize energy and carbon in their cloud environments
- Expanded the Zero Carbon Committed initiative in EMEA by adding 20 more EMEA based VMware Cloud Provider partners committed to renewable energy, reaching a total of 53 EMEA partners
- Joined the European Green Digital Coalition (EGDC). This coalition of IT companies is supported by the European Commission, the European Parliament and a number of corporate partners, with the aim of harnessing the emission-reducing potential of digital solutions
- Earned Human Rights Campaign Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality, 100% score
- Helped address the digital skills gap by upskilling more than 42,000 learners in EMEA on VMware technology solutions through the VMware IT Academy, including course offerings on the EU Digital Skills & Jobs platform
- Empowered 85% of VMware people to support nonprofits of their choice through the VMware Foundation, impacting more than 15,000 organizations in 98 countries
- Received the Gold ranking by the Cybersecurity Excellence Awards
- Ranked #2 in the Software and Telecommunications category by Newsweek’s Most Trustworthy Companies in America
- Embedded ESG milestones in executive compensation bonus plans and assigned corporate DEI goals as a component of funding for all bonus-eligible employees
The report highlights Italian energy services provider Alperia, which produces energy from renewable sources to build a cleaner world. Alperia leveraged VMware Cloud on AWS to move workloads to the cloud and consolidate from five to two data centers, leading to reduced power consumption. “The decision to launch this technological partnership with VMware was also dictated by the shared commitment to shape a resilient and environmentally friendly future,” said Luca Ceriani, Chief Digital and Technology Officer at Alperia.
It also showcases Italian-based EMERGENCY NGO Onlus, which provides human rights-based medical care to people affected by war, poverty and landmines. Data security is paramount as the EMERGENCY team operates remotely, often in challenging locations such as war zones, which makes sensitive information vulnerable. Using VMware Carbon Black Cloud Endpoint Advanced, the EMERGENCY team has achieved a more secure solution that delivers peace of mind, enabling staff to focus on providing life-saving healthcare services. “VMware enables us to keep the focus where it should be, delivering a positive impact for our staff and patients,” said Rolando Bricchi, IT Director, EMERGENCY NGO Onlus.
Learn more about our ESG progress and our latest 2023 ESG report from Nicola Acutt, Chief Sustainability Officer and VP of ESG at VMware.