VMware gibt Finanzzahlen für das zweite Quartal des Geschäftsjahres 2020 bekannt
- Umsatzwachstum von 12 Prozent gegenüber dem Vorjahr
- VMware übernimmt Pivotal Software, eine führende Entwicklerplattform für die Entwicklung moderner Anwendungen
- VMware übernimmt Carbon Black, einen führenden Anbieter von Security Clouds der nächsten Generation
München, 23. August 2019 – VMware, Innovationsführer im Bereich Unternehmenssoftware, gibt heute die Finanzzahlen für das zweite Quartal des Finanzjahres 2020 bekannt.
Weitere Details zu den Finanzzahlen entnehmen Sie bitte der englischsprachigen Pressemeldung wie folgt:
- VMware and Pivotal Software have entered into a definitive agreement under which VMware will acquire Pivotal for a blended price per share of $11.71, comprised of $15 per share in cash to Pivotal Class A stockholders, and VMware’s Class B shares exchanged for Pivotal Class B shares held by Dell Technologies at an exchange ratio of 0.0550 shares of VMware Class B common Stock for each share of Pivotal Class B common stock. The transaction has an enterprise value of $2.7 billion.
- VMware and Carbon Black have entered into a definitive agreement under which VMware will acquire Carbon Black through a cash tender offer for $26 per share, representing an enterprise value of $2.1 billion.
- Revenue for the second quarter was $2.44 billion, an increase of 12% from the second quarter of fiscal 2019.
- License revenue for the second quarter was $1.01 billion, an increase of 12% from the second quarter of fiscal 2019.
- GAAP net income for the second quarter was $4.93 billion, including a $538 million unrealized loss on strategic investment in Pivotal Software and $4.9 billion discrete tax benefit resulting from an internal transfer of international intellectual property rights, or $11.83 per diluted share, compared to $644 million, or $1.56 per diluted share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2019. Non-GAAP net income for the second quarter was $667 million, or $1.60 per diluted share, up 4% per diluted share compared to $638 million, or $1.54 per diluted share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2019.
- GAAP operating income for the second quarter was $523 million, an increase of 3% from the second quarter of fiscal 2019. Non-GAAP operating income for the second quarter was $802 million, an increase of 9% from the second quarter of fiscal 2019.
- Operating cash flow for the second quarter was $699 million. Free cash flow for the second quarter was $611 million.
- Total revenue plus sequential change in total unearned revenue grew 17% year-over-year.
- License revenue plus sequential change in unearned license revenue grew 12% year-over-year.
“Building on another solid quarter, we are thrilled about announcing our intent to acquire Pivotal and Carbon Black,” said Pat Gelsinger, chief executive officer, VMware. “These acquisitions address two critical technology priorities of all businesses today — building modern, enterprise-grade applications and protecting enterprise workloads and clients. With these actions we meaningfully accelerate our subscription and SaaS offerings and expand our ability to enable our customers’ digital transformation.”
“We are pleased with our strong financial performance in Q2, which reflected broad-based strength in all three geographies,” said Zane Rowe, executive vice president and CFO, VMware. “Our cloud strategy and strong Hybrid Cloud and SaaS growth will substantially accelerate, as we bring Pivotal and Carbon Black into the portfolio.”
VMware has announced that it has entered into agreements to acquire Pivotal and Carbon Black. These companies address key strategic IT priorities — building apps with a modern approach and protecting enterprise workloads and clients. With Pivotal, VMware will be able to deliver an integrated modern apps portfolio combining Pivotal’s next-generation developer platform and VMware’s Kubernetes portfolio. With Carbon Black, VMware will be able to provide a next generation security cloud with Carbon Black’s protection suite and VMware’s intrinsic security assets. Adding these companies to VMware’s portfolio will allow VMware to deliver software solutions that enable customers to build, run, manage, connect and protect any app, on any cloud and any device.
Under the terms of the Pivotal merger agreement, Pivotal’s Class A common stockholders will receive $15 per share in cash for each share held, and Pivotal’s Class B common stockholder, Dell Technologies, will receive approximately 7.2 million shares of VMware Class B common stock, based on an exchange ratio of 0.0550 shares of VMware for each share of Pivotal. This transaction, in aggregate, will result in an expected net cash payout for VMware of $0.8 billion. The impact of equity issued to Dell Technologies would increase its ownership stake in VMware by approximately 0.34 percentage points to 81.09% based on the shares currently outstanding. VMware currently holds 15 percent of Pivotal’s fully-diluted outstanding shares. The transaction will be funded through cash on the balance sheet, access to short-term borrowing capacity, and the issuance of approximately 7.2 million shares of VMware Class B common stock to Dell.
Under the terms of the Carbon Black merger agreement, Carbon Black stockholders will receive $26 per share cash for each share held, resulting in a net cash payout for VMware of $1.9 billion. The transaction will be funded through cash on the balance sheet and access to short-term borrowing capacity.
Closing of both transactions is subject to closing conditions and is expected in the second half of VMware’s fiscal year 2020, which ends January 31, 2020.
Business Highlights & Strategic Announcements
- VMware Cloud on AWS is now present in 16 regions globally, with the recent addition of the Seoul and Sao Paulo AWS regions.
- In July, Google Cloud and VMware announced Google Cloud VMware Solution by CloudSimple, a new service that will allow organizations to run their VMware workloads in Google Cloud Platform, providing customers with choice and flexibility to run VMware workloads on-premises, in a hybrid architecture, or in the cloud.
- VMware unveiled VMware HCX Enterprise, which accelerates large-scale live migrations of VMware vSphere and non-vSphere workloads to help customers operationalize multi-cloud and hybrid cloud transformations.
- In June, VMware Secure State was made available on CloudHealth by VMware. VMware Secure State solves problems such as those recently seen in the industry, providing a security solution for DevOps-friendly cloud-native applications.
- VMware was recognized in the Leaders quadrant in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Unified Endpoint Management Tools1.
- VMware Essential PKS 1.15 was made generally available in July, shipping upstream Kubernetes 1.15.1 and adding support for Project Harbor.
- VMware recently completed the following acquisitions:
- Avi Networks, a leader in multi-cloud application delivery services, that will further enable VMware to bring the public cloud experience to the entire data center—automated, highly scalable, and intrinsically more secure with the ability to deploy applications with a single click.
- Bitfusion, a pioneer in virtualization of hardware accelerated devices with a strong focus on GPU (graphics processor unit) technology, which enables VMware to make GPU and FPGA capabilities efficiently available for AI and machine learning workloads in the enterprise.
- Uhana, a company that is pioneering the use of deep learning and real-time AI in carrier networks and applications, to automate network operations and optimize application experience. Uhana brings AI techniques into VMware’s software approach for the telecom industry, helping them accelerate their journey to 5G.
- Veriflow, an innovator in network verification, assurance, and troubleshooting, which helps customers model, analyze, and verify their hybrid networks to allow IT teams to operate, increase the security of, and build resilient networks. Veriflow’s technology provides problem detection for critical network issues (physical and virtual).
The company will host a conference call today at 1:30 p.m. PT/ 4:30 p.m. ET to review financial results and business outlook. A live web broadcast of the event will be available on the VMware investor relations website at http://ir.vmware.com. Slides will accompany the web broadcast. The replay of the webcast and slides will be available on the website for two months. In addition, six quarters of historical data for unearned revenue will also be made available at http://ir.vmware.com in conjunction with the conference call.
VMware’s website is located at www.vmware.com, and its investor relations website is located at http://ir.vmware.com. VMware’s goal is to maintain the investor relations website as a portal through which investors can easily find or navigate to pertinent information about VMware, all of which is made available free of charge. The additional information includes: materials that VMware files with the SEC; announcements of investor conferences, speeches and events at which its executives talk about its products, services and competitive strategies; webcasts of its quarterly earnings calls, investor conferences and events (archives of which are also available for a limited time); additional information on its financial metrics, including reconciliations of non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measures; press releases on quarterly earnings, product and service announcements, legal developments and international news; corporate governance information; other news, blogs and announcements that VMware may post from time to time that investors may find useful or interesting; and opportunities to sign up for email alerts and RSS feeds to have information pushed in real time.
VMware, VMware Cloud, HCX Enterprise, vSphere, VMware Secure State, CloudHealth, Avi Networks, Bitfusion and Uhana are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective organizations.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Reconciliations of non-GAAP financial measures to VMware’s financial results as determined in accordance with GAAP are included at the end of this press release following the accompanying financial data. For a description of these non-GAAP financial measures, including the reasons management uses each measure, please see the section of the tables titled “About Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding the proposed acquisitions of Carbon Black and Pivotal Software by VMware, such as: the amount and type of consideration expected to be paid for each acquisition; the net cash and equity payouts and dilutive impact on VMware; the sources of funding for the acquisitions, including VMware’s ability to access short-term borrowing; the expected timing for the acquisitions; the growth opportunities and expansion of VMware’s offerings associated with each acquisition and potential benefits to VMware and its customers; as well as, increasing customer interest in VMware cloud infrastructure technology; and the expected benefits to and adoption by customers of VMware products and services, including, for example, those relating to the announcements of Google Cloud VMware Solution, Azure VMware Solutions, VMware HCX Enterprise and VMware’s recently completed acquisitions. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (1) the satisfaction or waiver of the conditions to closing the proposed acquisitions (including the failure to obtain necessary regulatory approvals) in the anticipated timeframe or at all; (2) uncertainties as to how many of Carbon Black’s stockholders will tender their shares in the tender offer and the outcome of the vote by Pivotal stockholders to approve the Pivotal acquisition; (3) the possibility that either or both acquisitions do not close; (4) the possibility that competing offers may be made; (5) risks related to obtaining the requisite consents to each acquisition, including, without limitation, the timing (including possible delays) and receipt of regulatory approvals from various governmental entities (including any conditions, limitations or restrictions placed on these approvals and the risk that one or more governmental entities may deny approval); (6) risks related to the ability to realize the anticipated benefits of the proposed acquisitions, including the possibility that the expected benefits from the proposed acquisitions will not be realized or will not be realized within the expected time period; (7) the risk that the businesses will not be integrated successfully; (8) disruption from the transactions making it more difficult to maintain business and operational relationships; (9) negative effects of this announcement or the consummation of the proposed acquisitions on the market price of VMware’s common stock, credit ratings and operating results; (10) the risk of litigation and regulatory actions related to the proposed acquisitions; (11) other business effects, including the effects of industry, market, economic, political or regulatory conditions; (12) other unexpected costs or delays in connection with the acquisitions; (13) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (14) delays or reductions in consumer, government and information technology spending; (15) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the virtualization software and cloud, end user and mobile computing industries, and new product and marketing initiatives by VMware’s competitors; (16) VMware’s customers’ ability to transition to new products and computing strategies such as cloud computing, desktop virtualization and the software defined data center; (17) VMware’s ability to enter into, maintain and extend strategically effective partnerships and alliances; (18) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology; (19) the ability to successfully integrate into VMware acquired companies and assets and smoothly transition services related to divested assets from VMware; (20) rapid technological changes in the virtualization software and cloud, end user and mobile computing industries; (21) changes to product and service development timelines; (22) VMware’s relationship with Dell Technologies and Dell’s ability to control matters requiring stockholder approval, including the election of VMware’s board members and matters relating to Dell’s investment in VMware; (23) VMware’s ability to protect its proprietary technology; (24) VMware’s ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (25) the ability of VMware to realize synergies from Dell; (26) disruptions resulting from key management changes; (27) risks associated with international sales such as fluctuating currency exchange rates and increased trade barriers; (28) changes in VMware’s financial condition; (29) risks associated with cyber-attacks, information security and privacy; and (30) geopolitical changes such as Brexit and increased tariffs and trade barriers that could adversely impact our non-U.S. sales. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this press release, are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including VMware’s most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K that we may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
Additional Information about the Pivotal Software Acquisition and Where to Find It
This communication may be deemed to be solicitation material in respect of the proposed merger with Pivotal Software (the “Pivotal Merger”). This communication does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy VMware securities or the solicitation of any vote or approval. The proposed Pivotal Merger will be submitted to Pivotal’s stockholders for their consideration. In connection with the proposed transaction, Pivotal intends to file a proxy statement and other relevant materials with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) in connection with the solicitation of proxies by Pivotal, the Company and Dell Technologies in connection with the proposed transaction. The definitive proxy statement will be mailed to Pivotal’s stockholders.
BEFORE MAKING ANY VOTING OR INVESTMENT DECISION WITH RESPECT TO THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION, INVESTORS AND STOCKHOLDERS OF PIVOTAL ARE URGED TO READ THE DEFINITIVE PROXY STATEMENT REGARDING THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION (INCLUDING ANY AMENDMENTS OR SUPPLEMENTS THERETO) AND OTHER RELEVANT MATERIALS CAREFULLY AND IN THEIR ENTIRETY WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION. The proxy statement, any amendments or supplements thereto and other relevant materials, and any other documents filed by Pivotal with the SEC, may be obtained once such documents are filed with the SEC free of charge at the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov.
In addition, Pivotal’s stockholders may obtain free copies of the documents filed with the SEC through the Investors portion of Pivotal’s website at investors.pivotal.io or by contacting Pivotal’s Investor Relations Department via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pivotal, VMware, Dell Technologies Inc. and certain of their respective executive officers, directors, other members of management and employees, may under the rules of the SEC, be deemed to be “participants” in the solicitation of proxies from Pivotal’s stockholders in connection with the proposed transaction. Information regarding the persons who may be considered “participants” in the solicitation of proxies will be set forth in Pivotal’s preliminary and definitive proxy statements when filed with the SEC and other relevant documents to be filed with the SEC in connection with the proposed transaction, each of which can be obtained free of charge from the sources indicated above when they become available. Information regarding certain of these persons and their beneficial ownership of Pivotal’s common stock is also set forth in Pivotal’s proxy statement for its 2019 annual meeting of stockholders filed on May 3, 2019 with the SEC, which may be obtained free of charge from the sources indicated above.
Additional Information about the Carbon Black Tender Offer and Where to Find It
The tender offer referenced in this communication has not yet commenced. This communication is for informational purposes only and is neither an offer to purchase nor a solicitation of an offer to sell Carbon Black securities, nor is it a substitute for the tender offer materials that VMware and its acquisition subsidiary will file with the SEC. The solicitation and offer to buy Carbon Black stock will only be made pursuant to an Offer to Purchase and related tender offer materials. At the time the tender offer is commenced, VMware and its acquisition subsidiary will file a tender offer statement on Schedule TO and thereafter Carbon Black will file a Solicitation/Recommendation Statement on Schedule 14D-9 with the SEC with respect to the tender offer. THE TENDER OFFER MATERIALS (INCLUDING AN OFFER TO PURCHASE, A RELATED LETTER OF TRANSMITTAL AND CERTAIN OTHER TENDER OFFER DOCUMENTS) AND THE SOLICITATION/RECOMMENDATION STATEMENT ON SCHEDULE 14D-9 WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION. CARBON BLACK STOCKHOLDERS ARE URGED TO READ THESE DOCUMENTS CAREFULLY WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT HOLDERS OF CARBON BLACK SECURITIES SHOULD CONSIDER BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISION REGARDING TENDERING THEIR SECURITIES. The Offer to Purchase, the related Letter of Transmittal and certain other tender offer documents, as well as the Solicitation/Recommendation Statement, will be made available to all holders of Carbon Black stock at no expense to them. The tender offer materials and the Solicitation/Recommendation Statement will be made available for free at the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. Additional copies may be obtained for free by contacting VMware or Carbon Black. Copies of the documents filed with the SEC by Carbon Black will be available free of charge on Carbon Black internet website at investors.carbonblack.com/financial-information/sec-filings or by contacting Carbon Black’s Investor Relations Department at (617) 393-7400. Copies of the documents filed with the SEC by VMware will be available free of charge on VMware’s internet website at ir.vmware.com contacting VMware’s Investor Relations Department via email at IR@vmware.com.
In addition to the Offer to Purchase, the related Letter of Transmittal and certain other tender offer documents, as well as the Solicitation/Recommendation Statement, VMware and Carbon Black each file annual, quarterly and current reports and other information with the SEC. VMware’s and Carbon Black’s filings with the SEC are available to the public on the SEC’s website at http://www.sec.gov.
VMware treibt mit seiner Unternehmenssoftware die digitale Infrastruktur der Welt voran. Die Lösungen des Unternehmens in den Bereichen Cloud, Netzwerk und Security sowie digitaler Arbeitsplatz bieten eine flexible und effiziente Grundlage für den Geschäftserfolg von mehr als 500.000 Kunden weltweit. Vertrieben wird das umfassende Portfolio von einem globalen Netzwerk aus 75.000 Partnern. Das Unternehmen mit Hauptsitz im kalifornischen Silicon Valley setzt seine zahlreichen technologischen Innovationen im Rahmen des „Force for Good“-Ansatzes ein, um auf globaler Ebene Positives zu bewirken. Die deutsche Geschäftsstelle befindet sich in München. Weitere Informationen finden Sie unter https://www.vmware.com/de.
Maisberger GmbH für VMware
Tel. +49 (0) 89 / 41 95 99 - 71
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.