VMware Unveils VMware Workstation 3.1 at Microsoft Tech·Ed 2002
Users Can Quickly and Easily Run All the Applications They Need, Regardless of Operating System, on a Single PC
NEW ORLEANS and PALO ALTO, Calif., April 9, 2002 - VMware, Inc., the leading provider of virtual computing software for industry-standard computers, announced today at Microsoft Tech·Ed 2002 the general availability of VMware Workstation 3.1, the latest release of its desktop software for technical professionals.
VMware Workstation 3.1 enables multiple operating systems to run on secure and high-performance virtual machines. As a result, users can spend more time being productive and less time configuring hardware, installing software, rebooting or reconfiguring systems. VMware Workstation 3.1 lets users:
- Streamline development and testing. Software developers and quality assurance engineers can work effectively in multiple machine environments and build more realistic tests in less time with less hardware
- Ensure compatibility and legacy migration. Developers can explore new operating systems and applications without risking their production development environment
- Facilitate training and sales demos. Instructors can create a centralized library of pre-configured training environments and easily distribute them to students. Sales and marketing staff can demonstrate complex product applications on the same laptop
- Improve help desk and technical support. Technical support staff can troubleshoot customer problems by reproducing their computing environment in a virtual machine
New and enhanced features in VMware Workstation 3.1 include:
- Repeatable resume that allows users to resume their virtual machine from the same point, over and over again
- Improved NAT with faster performance and greater flexibility
- A new Windows MSI-based installer that supports automated installs
- Support for Windows .NET Server Beta 3 host and guest operating systems
- Support for other new guest and host operating systems
- Full Japanese localization on Windows hosts
"We continue to see an immense of amount interest for VMware Workstation in all markets," said Diane Greene, president and CEO of VMware. "These new features extend the product's capabilities and expand the utility and value of virtual computing across the entire enterprise."
Pricing and Availability
VMware Workstation 3.1 is available today on the VMware Web site at www.vmware.com. VMware Workstation 3.1 is a free upgrade to registered customers of VMware Workstation 3.0. The electronic version of VMware Workstation 3.1 is available for $299 and the boxed version for $329.
About VMware, Inc.
VMware, Inc. is the leading provider of virtual computing software forindustry-standard computers. Through its patent-pending technology, VMware brings virtual computing to distributed systems -- from the desktop to the data center. Enterprise customers use VMware software for server consolidation, workload management and application development, testing and deployment. With more than one million registered users, VMware products include ESX Server, GSX Server and Workstation. VMware was founded in 1998 and is based in Palo Alto, Calif. For more information, visit www.vmware.com or call 650-475-5000.
# # #
(C)2002 VMware, Inc. all rights reserved. VMware and the VMware boxes logo are trademarks of VMware, Inc. Microsoft, Windows, and Windows NT are registered trademarks of Microsoft corporation. All other trademarks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of theirespective companies.