VMware Workspace ONE Will Offer a Simple and Secure Enterprise Platform That Delivers a Digital Workspace, Integrating Identity, Device Management and Application Delivery
PALO ALTO, CA--(Marketwired - February 09, 2016) - VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility, today unveiled a new platform for delivering secure digital workspaces for flexible workstyles and bring your own device (BYOD). Using the principles of consumer simple and enterprise secure, the digital workspace delivered by VMware will address the end user and enterprise IT business mobility needs by aggregating all devices, applications and services while securely managing them through unified common access and identity.
"In the mobile cloud era, employees, devices, applications and data increasingly live beyond the physical walls of the workplace, the datacenter, or the network," said Sanjay Poonen, executive vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware. "Digital enterprises are struggling to deliver a unified digital workspace due to disjointed technology and teams. We are proud to be the first to bring together identity, device management and application delivery on a single integrated platform so business can be conducted by mobile end-users regardless of platform, location, device or application."
A digital workspace can give IT a more efficient, simplified way of managing users, devices and applications. It can provide end users with a consumer simple way to seamlessly access all business resources regardless of device type. It also provides line of business, a secure and powerful platform on which to build and rebuild business processes that enable a more effective mobile workforce to compete in the market.
The Platform for Delivering a Digital Workspace
Organizations today are limited in their selection of solutions available to help mobile users maintain effectiveness and must choose between standalone point products for identity, device management and application delivery solutions. VMware Workspace ONE™ is designed to deliver a digital workspace that integrates device management, application delivery and identity management technologies. These combined benefits, on a single mobile platform, will enable secure management and delivery of business critical resources to employees for corporate IT, and consumer simple access for end-users. This solution will deliver options for all types of users from those with BYOD to corporate fully-managed devices.
Capabilities of VMware Workspace ONE will include:
- Consumer Grade Self-Service Access to Cloud, Mobile, Windows Applications- Will offer simple onboarding of new applications and employees. Employees will enjoy industry-first, one-touch mobile Single-Sign On access leveraging patent-pending Secure App Token Systems (SATS) that establishes trust between the user, device, enterprise and cloud. Once authenticated, employees will gain instant access to a personalized enterprise application store where they can subscribe to virtually any mobile, cloud or Windows application.
- Flexible Choice of Device: BYOD or Corporate Owned - Self-service, shrink-wrapped device provisioning through the new unified management platform will leverage mobile operating system (iOS, Android and Windows 10) management interfaces to self-configure laptops, smartphones and tablets for immediate enterprise use. Employees will be put in control of their BYO devices with the capability to choose the level of services and IT restrictions they are comfortable to use, increasing adoption of BYO programs, productivity, and reducing the risk of data loss.
- Secure Applications: Mail, Calendar, Content, and Chat- Employees want to use corporate mobile applications that work like consumer applications. VMware Workspace ONE will include email, calendar, contacts, content and chat applications that are consumer simple while invisible security measures protect the organization from data leakage. Workspace ONE will also build-in powerful swipe and touch integrations with web applications such as Evernote, Gmail and Yahoo! Mail, among others and third-party SaaS applications such as Atlassian Jira, GitHub and Jenkins for developer operations teams to act and respond from anywhere.
- Data Security and Endpoint Compliance with Conditional Access- To protect the most sensitive information, VMware Workspace ONE will combine identity and device management with industry-first ComplianceCheck Conditional Access to enforce access decisions across any application or device. This approach is based on conditions that include traditional identity policies such as strength of authentication, network scope and add device compliance policies including GPS location, application whitelist/blacklist and third party plug-ins from AirWatch® Mobile Security Alliance partners. Meanwhile the AirWatch compliance engine can remediate compliance issues through a series of customizable, automated workflows for both scale and enhanced security.
- Real-Time App Delivery and Automation - As the industry is seeing convergence between desktops, laptops and tablets, operating systems such as Windows 10 are also converging to use mobile-style, application management. VMware Workspace ONE™ will modernize application lifecycle management by simplifying application packaging, delivery and ongoing management. Administrators can automate application delivery and provide updates on the fly, and users can gain access to Windows applications on all devices. Workspace ONE will leverage industry-leading VMware AirWatch mobile management and VMware Horizon®, along with VMware App Volumes application delivery technology.
"Overwhelmingly, 70 percent of ESG research respondents view effective mobility strategies as critical to core applications and business processes that can lead to a competitive advantage for their organization," said Mark Bowker, senior analyst, enterprise mobility, ESG. "Digital workspaces delivered by VMware Workspace ONE enable businesses to empower employees with flexible workstyles, enhance employee productivity and embrace critical security needs as IT professionals transparently assemble and deliver a single digital workspace for an optimal end-user experience."
"Cloud and mobile technologies are fundamentally changing the way companies run their businesses," said Keith Lippiatt, senior managing director, Accenture Infrastructure Services. "Our Workplace-as-a-Service offering, working with VMware's Workspace ONE, enables us to deliver unified data and application access and identity management capabilities to enterprise users regardless of their device or location. For example, for a large communications company, Accenture is enabling an agile, secure and flexible workplace accessible from any device, anywhere using VMware Horizon Air."
Availability and Pricing
VMware Workspace ONE is expected to be generally available this quarter. The solution will be offered in standard, advanced and enterprise editions with prices starting at $8 per user per month for cloud subscriptions and $150 per user for on-premises perpetual licenses.
Join the VMware Online Event: Enabling the Digital Enterprise
VMware will conduct a live webcast on February 9 at 9:30 a.m. Pacific to outline its strategy to help businesses deliver and secure enterprise digital workspaces, share details about the new products and solutions and showcase technology demonstrations. Register for the webcast here.
- For information about VMware Horizon 7 and VMware Horizon Air with Hybrid-mode also announced today, read the press release
- Read a blog post by Sumit Dhawan, senior vice president and general manager, desktop products, End-User Computing, VMware on the Digital Workspace
- Read a blog post by Kevin Strohmeyer, senior director, product marketing, workspace services, End-User Computing, VMware on VMware Workspace ONE
- Read a blog post by Tony Paikeday, senior product line manager, End-User Computing, VMware on VMware Horizon 7
- Read a blog post by Josue Fontanez, senior product line manager, End-User Computing, VMware on VMware Horizon Air™
- Read a blog post by Harry Labana, vice president of products, End-User Computing, VMware on VMware App Volumes 3.0
- Visit the online press kit for additional resources
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, Workspace ONE, AirWatch, Horizon, and Horizon Air are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding VMware's Workspace ONE platform, the interoperability of this product with VMware's other products and the potential benefits of these products to customers.These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in consumer, government and information technology spending; (iii) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the virtualization software and cloud, end user and mobile computing industries, and new product and marketing initiatives by VMware's competitors; (iv) VMware's customers' ability to transition to new products and computing strategies such as cloud computing, desktop virtualization and the software defined data center; (v) factors that affect timing of license revenue recognition such as product announcements and promotions and beta programs; (vi) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology; (vii) changes in the willingness of customers to enter into longer term licensing and support arrangements; (viii) rapid technological changes in the virtualization software and cloud, end user and mobile computing industries; (ix) changes to product and service development timelines; (x) VMware's relationship with EMC Corporation and EMC's ability to control matters requiring stockholder approval, including the election of VMware's board members and matters relating to EMC's investment in VMware, and any changes that Dell may implement following the completion of the Dell-EMC merger; (xi) VMware's ability to protect its proprietary technology; (xii) VMware's ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (xiii) the unsuccessful integration of acquired companies and assets into VMware; (xiv) disruptions to VMware's business resulting from the pendency of EMC's acquisition by Dell and the potential for loss of VMware customers due to uncertainty that the Dell-EMC transaction could have on VMware's business;(xv) the potential negative impact on VMware's stock price due to any confusion or uncertainty caused by the VMware tracking stock that is expected to be issued by Dell to EMC stockholders in the transaction; (xvi) disruptions resulting from key management changes; (xvii) pending or future stockholder litigation related to the Dell-EMC transaction; (xviii) VMware's ability to implement workforce reductions and other components of the plan in various geographies; (xix) possible changes in the size and components of the expected restructuring charges and cash expenditures; (xx) fluctuating currency exchange rates; (xxi) fluctuations and volatility in VMware's stock price; (xxii) changes in VMware's financial condition; (xxiii) changes in business opportunities and priorities that could cause VMware to consider alternative uses of cash; (xxiv) fluctuations in the level of cash held in the United States that is available for stock repurchases; and (xxv) changes in the dilutive impact in 2016 of shares issuable through VMware's equity compensation programs. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including VMware's most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K that VMware may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements.