New Integrated Platform Combines AirWatch Mobile and Content Management With VMware Horizon to Deliver Unified End-User Experience and Comprehensive IT Management; Company Propels Desktop Virtualization Into Next Phase of Innovation, and Showcases Project Meteor
SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - Aug 26, 2014) - Today at VMworld® 2014, VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) announced VMware Workspace™ Suite, a new integrated platform for managing applications, data and devices. Available now, VMware Workspace Suite offers a single, integrated portal to access AirWatch® by VMware mobile and content management solutions, and VMware Horizon®. For end-users, the result is a unified experience across mobile and desktop devices, while IT gains a comprehensive management solution. In addition, VMware introduced new products and innovations designed to help customers begin their journey to the next phase of mobile work with desktops and applications delivered as a service.
"VMware Workspace™ Suite represents a key milestone, delivering the industry's best end-user experience in a single, virtual workspace that unifies mobile, desktop and data -- allowing people to work at the speed of life," said Sanjay Poonen, executive vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware. "VMware offers a best-of-breed and integrated solution that extends from the data center to devices, to make this end-user computing suite both simple and more secure for line-of-business and IT."
VMware Workspace Suite: An Integrated Platform
VMware Workspace Suite offers many innovations that benefit customers challenged by the complexity of deploying and managing multiple point products. Key differentiators of the solution include:
- Seamless, Anywhere Productivity with Single Sign-On -- Access to web, SaaS and Windows applications using mobile devices requires only one touch since they reside in the VMware Workspace Portal and appear in the AirWatch application catalog.
- Scalable Unified Platform for Hybrid Clouds -- The VMware advantage provides a unified platform that can monitor and automate resource management across private and public clouds using VMware vCloud® Automation Center™ and VMware vCenter™ Operations Manager™ to enable the highest service level agreements.
- Trusted, Best-of-Breed Technologies -- Combining the leader in virtual desktopsi, VMware Horizon 6 and the overall "Top Player" in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM)ii, AirWatch by VMware, VMware Workspace Suite delivers a solution that is trusted and proven with global customers.
"The cost and complexities of managing mobile users using multiple devices are challenging IT departments everywhere and IT administrators are looking for solutions that can make it simple for themselves and their users," said John Jackson, research vice president, Mobile and Connected Platforms at IDC. "A solution that can seamlessly deliver this securely and at scale is what vendors and customers are after and VMware Workspace Suite is a compelling offering."
The Next Phase of Innovation -- Eliminating the Trade-Offs Between Performance and Cost
Announced today, new products along with enhancements to VMware Horizon will help customers adopt desktop virtualization at scale. These innovations can help eliminate the tradeoffs between performance and costs that customers may have experienced in the first generation desktop virtualization implementations. Updates to the VMware desktop product portfolio include:
- Real-Time Application Delivery with CloudVolumes -- The addition of CloudVolumes offers real-time delivery of applications, user settings and data to any virtual desktop, enabling customers to deliver personalized desktops with the economics of a shared infrastructure. Combined with VMware Horizon, it provides end-users a personalized, mobile-like experience, while offering IT organizations the greater simplicity and lower costs associated with stateless environments in their data center or the cloud.
- High Performance Rich Graphics Applications on Chromebooks -- The collaboration between VMware, Google and NVIDIA offers a technology preview of high-performance, workstation-class applications and desktops accessible from Chromebooks. This will expand the hardware options for customers with demanding visual computing needs so they can select their system of choice. Combining NVIDIA GRID™ virtual GPU (vGPU™) in the data center, NVIDIA Tegra® K1 processors in Chromebooks, and the next generation VMware Blast Performance will deliver a smooth and power efficient virtual desktop experience.
- Applications-as-a-Service with VMware Horizon® DaaS® -- This solution is the only in the industry to offer comprehensive delivery of published applications, shared desktop sessions, and full virtual desktops and applications via a multi-tenant public cloud DaaS.
- Desktop as a Service European Expansion -- VMware Horizon DaaS will be available to global customers in the U.K. and a third desktop service option, VMware Horizon DaaS Enterprise will offer high performance DaaS environments to a broader set of user profiles.
"VMware virtual desktops have helped our company consolidate IT support, save costs and better serve our worldwide employees and customers," said Amrith Nambiar, vice president, Information Technology at ServiceSource. "After evaluating other solutions, we chose VMware Horizon because of its unique capabilities and we have been delighted with our decision."
Introducing Project Meteor, a Technology Preview
Today at VMworld 2014, VMware also demonstrated Project Meteor, a technology preview showcasing next generation desktops and applications as a service. Unlike the current desktop virtualization solutions which simply lift-and-shift the desktop management problems from physical PCs to servers in the datacenter, this technology can create personalized desktops with a user's applications and data, dynamically using any generic available virtual machine. In addition, Project Meteor will then deliver these end-user resources in seconds to any device with an HTML5 based browser. This will offer a mobile-like experience in its speed and personalization, while offering the agility and anywhere access of the cloud.
Pricing and Availability
VMware Workspace Suite is available immediately. Contact VMware sales or a local VMware reseller partner for pricing. VMware Horizon DaaS Enterprise, support for published applications and new service in the U.K. are expected in Q3 2014. For more information, click here. The CloudVolumes solution is available immediately. Contact CloudVolumes sales for pricing information. Early access to the technology preview of graphic-rich applications running on Chromebooks is available to VMware and NVIDIA customers. For more information, visit the registration page.
- Read a blog post by Sanjay Poonen, EVP and GM, End-User Computing, VMware
- Read more about VMware desktop and application innovations in a blog post by Sumit Dhawan, SVP and GM of Desktop Products, End-User Computing, VMware
- Read more about VMware Workspace Suite in a blog post by Erik Frieberg, VP of Marketing, End-User Computing, VMware
- Read more about CloudVolumes
- Read more about VMware Horizon and VMware EVO: RAIL™ in a blog post by Mason Uyeda, senior director of technical marketing, End-User Computing, VMware
- Read the Inspired by Mobile blog post by Kit Colbert, CTO, End-User Computing, VMware
- Visit the VMworld 2014 Press Kit for media resources
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2013 revenues of $5.21 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, VMware Horizon, VMware Workspace, VMware vCloud Automation Center, VMware vCenter Operations Manager, VMware Horizon DaaS, AirWatch VMware EVO: RAIL and VMworld are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. and its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding the synergies between VMware and Cloud Volumes, new updates to VMware products and services, including VMware Horizon, VMware Horizon DaaS Enterprise and Project Meteor, their expected features, potential benefits to customers, expected availability and pricing and expectations for continued growth in demand and their expected availability. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the mobile device, end user and cloud computing markets, and new product and marketing initiatives by our competitors; (iv) our customers' ability to develop, and to transition to, new products and computing strategies such as cloud computing, software defined data center and mobile device management; (v) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology; (vi) rapid technological and market changes in virtualization software and platforms for cloud and mobile device computing; (vii) changes to product development timelines; (viii) VMware's ability to protect its proprietary technology; (ix) VMware's ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees, and (ix) global economic conditions. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including VMware's most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K that VMware may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this press release.
i Gigaom Research "Sector Roadmap: virtual desktops in 2014" by Janakiram MSV, principle analyst, Gigaom Research, June 18, 2014
ii The Radicati Group, Enterprise Mobility Management - Market Quadrant 2014, Sara Radicati, PhD, July 2014
VMware Global Communications
H+K Strategies for VMware