PALO ALTO, CA–(Marketwired – June 15, 2015) –
- VMware Delivers Industry’s First Identity-as-a-Service Offering Integrated with a Leading, Enterprise-Class Mobility Management and Security Solution
- VMware Furthers Commitment to Apple Devices and iOS Platform Support, with Application Configuration Templates and Vertical Solutions
- 15 New ISV Partners Embrace VMware’s Simplified Approach to Developing Secure Mobile Applications
VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility, today outlined its vision for the future of business mobility with new solutions, services and partnerships to enable organizations to transform business processes. The company’s strategy aims to free businesses from more than a decade of client-server focused IT — which enabled mobile access to a limited number of productivity applications — and now deliver a more user- and application-centric experience for the enterprise.
“Business Mobility is more than a shift in technology; it is an opportunity for true business process transformation,” said Sanjay Poonen, executive vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware. “Business Mobility will be a key driver of economic value for the next decade — truly reorienting businesses around mobile innovation, apps and services. As a result, the adage ‘adapt or perish’ has never been truer than it is today.”
Meeting Rising Employee and Business Expectations
More than ever, enterprises are dealing with two fundamental pain points — providing secure identity and access to an increasingly mobile workforce, and managing the growing diversity of applications, data and devices. These trends are breaking traditional IT; causing network access security controls designed for the Client-Server Era, to no longer meet needs of the Mobile-Cloud Era. With IT having little to no control over an employee’s choice of endpoint operating systems, the need to manage employee identity is a foundational element for enabling Business Mobility.
- For Employees, this means having a unified experience across all of their devices, while having ubiquitous access to all of their applications, content and services.
- For Businesses (and lines of business), this means having an environment that can do much more than just enhance individual productivity.
- And for IT Organizations, this means that the requirements for security, management and networking are changing. Identity and device management must now come together.
Examining the business impact and organizational attitudes toward Business Mobility, a February 2015 report by Forrester Research found that, “If you limit the view of enterprise mobility to bring your own devices (BYOD) or apps, you’re missing out on the bigger opportunity of enabling the people in your workforce to make the most of their mobile moments. Enhance interactions with customers and colleagues to help employees take direct action and get things done wherever they are.”1
1 “Create A Habitat of Technology Engagement and Enablement for Your Workforce,” February 2015, Forrester Research.
VMware Identity Manager — User-Centric Identity for the Mobile-Cloud Era
Announced today, VMware Identity Manager™ delivers the industry’s first Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS) offering integrated with a leading, enterprise-class mobility management and security solution. VMware Identity Manager enables enterprise identity management that meets consumer-grade expectations with secure, one-touch access to web, mobile and Windows applications. Offered as a cloud service or as an on-premises solution, VMware Identity Manager enables organizations to empower employees to become productive quickly with a self-service application store, which provides a delightful end-user experience. IT gains a central place to manage end-user provisioning, access and compliance, with enterprise-class directory integration, identity federation and user analytics.
Purpose-built for scale and the Mobile-Cloud Era, VMware Identity Manager will also be used by other VMware solutions and services — from VMware vCloud® Air™ to VMware vRealize™ Air — to provide seamless single sign-on for administrators to easily work across various management interfaces.
Key features and capabilities of VMware Identity Manager include:
- One-Touch Single Sign-On from any device to web, mobile and Windows applications without modification or app wrapping to help streamline access.
- Unique Adaptive Access is delivered by a tight integration between VMware Identity Manager and AirWatch® Enterprise Mobility Management™. This integration provides an additional factor of authentication from enrolled devices that is both stronger and easier to use than passwords, while also maintaining conditional access policies between managed and unmanaged devices.
- A Customizable and Context Aware HTML5 Application Portal empowers employees with a simple onboarding experience, automated app provisioning, and more secure application access across any device.
- Enterprise-Class Infrastructure that is reliable and more secure, running in the cloud or on-premises, and federates existing on-premises Microsoft Active Directory infrastructures to centralize end-user management.
VMware Identity Manager is available immediately as part of the AirWatch by VMware Blue and Yellow Management bundles, with pricing starting at $150 per end-user, per year. Read more about VMware Identity Manager and visit the AirWatch by VMware pricing page for more information.
Further Enabling Apple iOS in the Enterprise
Currently supporting Apple iOS and devices through its VMware Horizon and AirWatch by VMware product portfolios, VMware today announced that it is furthering its commitment to Apple and the iOS platform with the development of application configuration templates and vertical solutions, in industries like healthcare, airlines, education and others. This will provide users a “single-touch” configured solution, for a wide variety of apps, and facilitate faster on-boarding of mobile devices in the enterprise.
Today, VMware also announced 15 new partners have committed to standardizing public applications and development in the enterprise with ACE (App Configuration for Enterprise). ACE is the open standard approach for managing and securing apps deployed via enterprise mobility management (EMM) solutions. Once an application developer implements ACE standards, users simply download the public-facing application and corporate resources are automatically configured, allowing users to instantly and securely use the application.
Launched earlier this year by AirWatch, Box, Cisco, Salesforce, Workday and Xamarin, new ACE members include bigtincan, Deputy, DocuSign, Dropbox, Everbridge, Imprivata, Kony, Lua, MicroStrategy, OnBase by Hyland, ScrollMotion, ServiceMax, Showpad, Syncplicity by EMC and Webalo. Read more about ACE.
AT&T Work Platform Now Available to AirWatch Customers
In additional news, AirWatch by VMware made generally available today support for the AT&T Work Platform. With the capabilities enabled by the AT&T Work Platform, AirWatch customers can introduce split billing into their BYOD programs and gain greater control of telecom costs. The solution helps organizations separate personal and corporate voice, messaging and data usage, making costs more predictable, while avoiding time-consuming expense report processes. Together, AirWatch Telecom Management and the AT&T Work Platform empower customers to manage BYOD programs, allowing them to focus instead on business transformation with greater Business Mobility.
Join VMware’s Online Business Mobility Event
VMware will conduct a live webcast on June 16 at 9 a.m. Pacific to outline its vision for Business Mobility, share details about these new products and solutions, and showcase technology demonstrations and ecosystem partners. Register for the webcast here.
- “The AT&T Work Platform will allow businesses to buy enterprise mobility solutions that extend access to AT&T data, voice and messaging services. We’re excited to be working with VMware, one of the leading Business Mobility vendors, to bring the benefits of the AT&T Work Platform to businesses today. By bringing together two leaders, AT&T and VMware, in this key area of co-innovation, we can provide split-billing rate plans to customers that satisfy both the needs of their enterprise and their employees.” – Abhi Ingle, senior vice president, AT&T Big Data and Advanced Solutions
- “It’s critical that enterprises empower employees with intuitive, powerful cloud services, while ensuring that the organization’s most important information is secure. At Box, we’re incredibly focused on protecting customer content, and we’re excited to continue our collaboration with VMware to deliver Business Mobility solutions to our joint customers.” – Aaron Levie, co-founder and CEO of Box
- “Deploying the right mobile apps with up-to-the-minute information to users through technology from VMware has enabled our employees to better serve our customers. The power of Business Mobility is poised to impact all industries and fundamentally redefine how employees do their jobs.” – Paul Donoghue, director of enterprise mobile solutions at Stryker
- Watch a video introducing VMware’s Business Mobility strategy with Noah Wasmer, vice president, End-User Computing, VMware
- Access the VMware Identity Manager data sheet
- Become a member, or learn more about ACE
- Read a Q&A with Sundhar Annamalai, executive director of integrated solutions at AT&T
- Read about how VMware NSX with AirWatch and/or VMware Horizon can help reduce Business Mobility security threats
- Read more about AirWatch Telecom Management
- Visit The Bridge for more information about VMware’s approach to Business Mobility
- View the latest VMware Business Mobility vertical story graphics
- Follow VMware End-User Computing on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware’s industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a brave new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application. With 2014 revenues of $6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, VMware Identity Manager, vCloud, vCloud Air, vRealize, AirWatch, and AirWatch Enterprise Mobility Management are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding VMware’s expectations and vision for future of business mobility, continued growth in support for VMware’s approach to developing secure mobile applications, expectations for new solutions, services and partnerships and their potential role in new levels of transformation for business processes and their benefits to customers, expected 2015 IT business initiatives, the expected integration of VMware Identify Manager features in other VMware solutions and services, planned investments in the development of applications compatible with the iOS platform and their prospective benefits for users, the expected development and benefits of ACE standards and the expected benefits of the AT&T Work Platform. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to (i) changes to priorities and spending allocations; (ii) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (iii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iv) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the enterprise software, cloud computing and business mobility markets, and new product and marketing initiatives by our competitors; (v) our customers’ ability to develop, and to transition to, new products and computing strategies such as cloud computing and business mobility solutions; (vi) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology; (vii) rapid technological and market changes in virtualization software and application platforms for enterprise computing; (viii) changes to product development timelines; (ix) the successful interoperability and integration of the technologies involved; (x) VMware’s ability to protect its proprietary technology; and (xi) VMware’s ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees.. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K that we may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.