Building on AirWatch by VMware Mobility Momentum, VMware Horizon FLEX to Further Enable IT to Embrace BYO and Macs in the Enterprise With Local Virtual Desktops
BARCELONA, SPAIN--(Marketwired - Oct 14, 2014) - Today at VMworld® 2014 Europe, VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) announced new products, program and service that add to the growing list of innovative solutions for end-user computing. Among them is VMware Horizon® FLEX™ that will enable enterprises to centrally provision, manage and secure virtual desktops and applications running locally on Macs and PCs, using policy-based controls to more securely embrace bring your own (BYO) policies.
In addition, a new cloud service for desktop disaster recovery will allow organizations to protect their business and enhance workforce continuity, expansion of cloud hosted services in Europe will open opportunities for customers, and a new storage program will help customers quickly predict and control virtual desktop deployment costs at scale.
"We continue to dramatically accelerate the pace of innovation with new end-user computing and mobility solutions that will help VMware customers address the needs of their workforce," said Sanjay Poonen, executive vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware. "Building on the strong launch momentum for VMware Workspace™ Suite and new innovations in the AirWatch Enterprise Mobility Management™ platform, VMware Horizon FLEX joins a growing line-up of VMware End-User Computing products that transform legacy systems into a modern workspace that solves modern day challenges."
VMware Horizon FLEX: Local Virtual Desktops for Macs and PCs with Enterprise Security
According to a recent June 2014 survey by Dimensional Research commissioned by VMware, 73 percent of IT administrators reported that user preference is forcing organizations to officially or unofficially support Macsi. In addition, many companies use contract workers for temporary assignments, making it difficult for IT to deploy, secure and control corporate desktops, applications and data.
VMware Horizon FLEX will be a comprehensive enterprise solution that will enable organizations to provision and manage local, corporate Windows-based virtual desktops to groups of employees that were previously difficult or costly to support. IT will be able to give Mac users, contractors and remote workers access to a secure corporate desktop in a cost effective package without sacrificing security or corporate compliance. This will allow IT to save on training and support costs, while end-users can quickly become productive on a Mac or PC while disconnected from the network.
VMware Horizon FLEX will provide:
- Flexible Deployment Options -- Standardized virtual desktops for PC and Mac end-users can be provisioned for customers, contractors or remote employees through the corporate network or locally on a USB drive.
- Centralized Control -- Centralized policy-based management creates a more secure virtual desktop environment that assists with securing data, configurations and virtual disks. Device control can allow or deny use of peripheral devices, expiration control enables IT to set a timeframe for virtual desktops to expire and remote kill can disable virtual desktops remotely in case of theft, termination or lack of corporate compliance.
- Unified Image Management -- Virtual desktops can be managed as a set of logical layers owned by IT or the end-user. Dynamic layer for desktop and application management using VMware Mirage™ technology enables IT managed layers to be updated while maintaining end-user files and personalization.
- IT Cost Reductions -- Enable Bring Your Own PC (BYOPC) and support Macs in the enterprise without having to support the system itself. This can reduce training needs by allowing employees to use their system of choice, expedite new employee on boarding, and eliminate the cost of sending a physical laptop.
- Interoperability with AirWatch -- Utilize AirWatch OS X management to provision and manage Mac OS X devices including the configuration of VMware Fusion® and the installation of desktop and application containers.
With the addition of VMware Horizon FLEX to the VMware end-user computing portfolio, customers will be able to choose between three different virtual desktop and application options from a single vendor to match their specific needs:
- VMware Horizon FLEX -- A local solution with centralized controls that will enable the quick deployment of virtual Windows desktops to Mac and PC users so companies can embrace BYOPC policies without compromising security or control.
- VMware Horizon 6 -- A data center solution that delivers published applications and virtual desktops on a single integrated platform to empower IT with a streamlined approach for managing Windows applications and desktops.
- VMware Horizon Air™ -- A cloud solution that will deliver cost-effective enterprise-class virtual desktops that gives customers the ability to blend public and private cloud desktops for a seamless end-user experience.
New Solutions to Support Adoption and Deployment of Virtual Desktops
VMware's virtual desktop solutions are inspired by the mobile experience, built for the software defined data center and can be delivered using any cloud. They will help eliminate the tradeoff between performance and costs, and solve specific challenges faced by customers using the speed and agility of the mobile-cloud. New product and program solutions designed to support the adoption and deployment of virtual desktops will include:
- VMware Horizon DaaS European Expansion and Rebranding -- VMware Horizon DaaS has been rebranded to VMware Horizon Air. The complete line-up of end-user computing hosted cloud services that includes VMware Horizon Air Desktops, VMware Horizon Air Apps and VMware Horizon Air Desktop DR is scheduled to expand to new locations in France and Germany. As a result, global customers with employees in France, Germany and the UK will be able to take advantage of the agility and speed of VMware cloud services.
- VMware Horizon Air Desktop DR -- An industry first, VMware Horizon Air Desktop DR is a new service that will enable organizations to easily protect their business and ensure workforce continuity with affordable cloud-hosted desktops and applications. In the event of a disaster, IT will be able to get users up and running quickly with the speed of the cloud without the complexity and cost of physical desktop disaster recovery solutions. End-users can be productive instantly, from any device, anywhere, with a secure workspace connected to their corporate resources.
- VMware App Volumes -- The recently acquired CloudVolumes solution has been rebranded to VMware App Volumes and will offer new integration with VMware Horizon 6 and VMware Workspace Suite. The solution provides just-in time application delivery at scale to VMware and third-party virtualized desktops using on-demand layering technology that translates to superior performance at lower costs without compromising the end-user experience.
- VMware Horizon Fast Track 2.0 -- This updated program helps customers accelerate the adoption and deployment of virtual desktops by offering access to validated partners, reference architectures and converged appliances for exceptional performance and predictable scale and cost. A new certified storage solutions offering is now available to give customers visibility into specific storage options and cost estimates for VDI, and the Validated Reference Architecture program has been updated for VMware Horizon 6. Depending on their needs, customers can now choose from three distinct Fast Track programs to assist with their deployment planning.
- Turnkey Appliances -- Validated, converged and scalable appliances that help customers rapidly deploy virtual desktops.
- Validated Reference Architectures -- Implementation blueprints for storage, networking and servers to ensure interoperability with VMware Horizon 6.
- Proven Storage -- Storage solutions certified to offer predictable performance for 1,000 and 2,000 seat VMware Horizon deployments to help customers avoid under- or over-provisioning storage capacity.
"We believe our employees prefer having a choice when selecting computing devices at our company. A solution that can help easily manage PCs, Macs and mobile systems, while maintaining compliance with corporate policies would be compelling," said Suzan Pickett, manager, global infrastructure, Columbia Sportswear. "We need to open up the possibilities while maintaining the ability to centrally manage, secure, and administer all of our end-user systems and devices."
Pricing and Availability
VMware Horizon FLEX is expected to be available this quarter and will be licensed per device with prices starting at $250.
VMware Horizon Air Desktop DR is expected to be available this quarter and will be licensed per reserved desktop with prices starting at $5 per desktop per month. All VMware Horizon Air service offerings are expected to be available in France and Germany in Q1 2015.
VMware App Volumes will be available this quarter and included free of charge with VMware Horizon Enterprise. Also available as a stand-alone solution, prices start at $150 per concurrent user.
- Read a blog post by Sanjay Poonen, executive vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware
- Read more about the VMware virtual desktop and application strategy in a blog post by Sumit Dhawan, senior vice president and general manager of desktop products, End-User Computing, VMware
- Read more about VMware hosted cloud services in a blog post by Erik Frieberg, vice president of marketing, End-User Computing, VMware
- Read more about VMware App Volumes in a blog post by Harry Labana, vice president of products, End-User Computing, VMware.
- Read more about the technical details behind VMware Horizon FLEX in a blog post by Kit Colbert, chief technology officer, End-User Computing, VMware
- Visit the newsroom for the latest AirWatch by VMware news
- Visit VMware NOW to watch the live keynote and the VMworld 2014 Press Kit for media resources
- Follow us Twitter and Facebook
VMware (NYSE: VMW) is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2013 revenues of $5.21 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, Horizon, Horizon FLEX, Horizon Air, App Volumes, AirWatch, Fusion and Horizon Mirage are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding the expected availability of VMware end user computing products, including VMware Horizon FLEX, VMware Horizon Air Desktop DR and VMware Horizon Air service offering in Europe, their expected features and potential benefits to customers and expected trends in end user computing within the enterprise. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to (i) changes to business information technology strategies; (ii) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (iii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iv) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the mobile device and end user markets, and new product and marketing initiatives by our competitors; (v) our customers' ability to develop, and to transition to, new products and computing strategies such as cloud computing and virtual desktops; (vi) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology; (vii) rapid technological and market changes in virtualization software and platforms for cloud and virtual desktop computing; (viii) changes to product development timelines; (ix) VMware's ability to protect its proprietary technology; and (xi VMware's ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K that we may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
i The Apple Enterprise Invasion, David Gehringer, principal, Dimensional Research, June 2014
VMware Global Communications
H+K Strategies for VMware