Broadened Set of Cloud Offerings Enables Customers To Run, Manage, Connect, and Secure Any Application across Clouds and Devices
LAS VEGAS, NV--(Marketwired - August 28, 2017) - Today at VMworld® 2017, VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) unveiled an expanded set of products and services as part of VMware Cloud™ that are available through VMware and partners. New and updated offerings announced today include:
- VMware® Cloud™ on AWS is now initially available in AWS U.S. West (Oregon) region
- New VMware Cloud Services that enable end-to-end visibility into cloud usage, costs, and networks, with consistent networking and security across public clouds and on-premises environments
- New VMware Cloud Provider™ services and partner offerings based on VMware Cloud Foundation™
- Expanded VMware NSX® support of networking and security for clouds and cloud-native apps
- New VMware Cloud Provider innovations including VMware vCloud Director® 9.0
As enterprises begin to experience the benefits of their unique digital transformations, VMware is helping customers through their journey with cloud, mobile and security software and services that let them build exactly what they need, the way they need it, for today and tomorrow.
"Customers are accelerating digital transformation by deploying applications across clouds, with upwards of two-thirds of enterprises deploying applications on three or more clouds today," said Raghu Raghuram, chief operating officer, Products and Cloud Services, VMware. "VMware Cloud brings a consistent operating model, enterprise control, and investment protection for IT resources and skillsets to a multi-cloud world. With these new services, we are preserving developer agility and freedom to drive innovation."
VMware Cloud on AWS Now Available
Today, VMware announces VMware Cloud on AWS initial availability in the AWS U.S. West (Oregon) region. VMware Cloud on AWS brings VMware's enterprise class software-defined data center software to the AWS Cloud, and enables customers to run applications across VMware vSphere®-based private, public and hybrid cloud environments, with optimized access to AWS services. Delivered, sold and supported by VMware as an on-demand service, IT teams manage their cloud-based resources with familiar VMware tools. VMware Cloud on AWS is powered by VMware Cloud Foundation to deliver a complete set of software-defined services for compute, storage, networking and security in a single integrated stack, running on elastic, bare-metal AWS infrastructure. Read the VMware Cloud on AWS news release here.
VMware Cloud Services: Manage, Secure, Monitor, and Automate Cloud Infrastructure and Applications
VMware Cloud Services provide a unified approach to gain end-to-end visibility into cloud usage, costs, network traffic, metrics monitoring, and analytics, and deliver consistent security across public clouds and on-premises environments. By enabling IT organizations to manage and secure across clouds, VMware is helping IT organizations balance agility and flexibility with control and governance, across multiple clouds. Today, VMware is announcing its initial set of cloud services:
- VMware AppDefense™: a data center endpoint security solution that protects applications by embedding application control, and threat detection and response capabilities into the VMware vSphere-based environments on which applications and data live. By leveraging vSphere, AppDefense gains a deep understanding of the intended state and behavior of the applications running on virtual machines and can detect and respond to unauthorized changes. With AppDefense, VMware is helping IT transform security by building on a virtualization foundation and moving to a new security architecture that's intent-based and application focused. Read the AppDefense news release here.
- VMware Cost Insight™: a cost monitoring and optimization service for public and private clouds that helps IT analyze cloud spend, find savings opportunities, and communicate the cost of services to the business. With Cost Insight, users can understand aggregated cloud costs and identify key cost drivers. Cost Insight provides granular visibility into public and private cloud costs so that IT leaders can map investments to strategic business priorities and ensure cost transparency. Read more about Cost Insight in this blog.
- VMware Discovery™: an automated inventory service that improves cloud visibility and tames shadow IT by bringing together inventory information and cloud accounts from multiple clouds, making it easy for IT to search for and identify workloads deployed from their enterprise. Using native cloud tags and properties that have been identified, customers can group cloud resources even if they span across multiple clouds. With better organization of cloud resources, Discovery allows organization of cloud resources in ways that mirror business needs. Read more about Discovery in this blog.
- VMware Network Insight™: a network and security analysis service offering purpose-built for public clouds and software-defined data centers. Network Insight provides comprehensive network visibility and granular understanding of traffic flows to enable cloud security planning and network troubleshooting. Best practices checks, an intuitive UI and search simplify VMware NSX administration, making it easier for cloud administrators to manage and troubleshoot NSX deployments at scale. Read more about Network Insight in this blog.
- VMware NSX Cloud™: a service that provides consistent networking and security for applications running in multiple private and public clouds, via a single management console and common API. Micro-segmentation security policy is defined once and applied to application workloads running anywhere -- in cloud virtual networks, regions, availability zones -- and across multiple clouds. Overlay networking enables more precise control over topologies, traffic flows, IP addressing, and protocols used in public clouds. The consistency and control delivered by NSX Cloud enables IT to simplify and scale operations, improve standardization and compliance, and lower OPEX for applications running in public clouds. Read more about NSX Cloud in this blog.
- Wavefront® by VMware®: a metrics monitoring and analytics platform that handles the high-scale requirements of modern cloud-native applications. Wavefront by VMware's speed, scale, and flexibility empowers DevOps, and developer teams with instant insight into the performance of highly-distributed cloud-native services. Wavefront by VMware's analytics, query-driven alerts, interactive visualizations, open API, and integrations, all powered by a scalable time-series database, deliver "first pane of glass" visibility to help DevOps teams detect performance anomalies while enabling high availability of key cloud services. Developers can self-serve and adapt Wavefront by VMware analytics to the unique needs of their code while gaining visibility into its production behavior. Read more about Wavefront in this blog.
VMware Cloud Foundation: Fastest Path To Private Cloud, On Premises or As A Service
VMware Cloud Foundation is the industry's most advanced cloud infrastructure platform. It can be flexibly deployed on-premises or consumed as a service in the cloud, and used to run traditional and cloud-native containerized applications. VMware Cloud Foundation accelerates IT's time-to-market by providing an integrated cloud infrastructure stack that includes a complete set of software-defined services for compute, storage, networking, and security. With new built-in lifecycle management automation, customers can eliminate the overhead of infrastructure-level Day 0 to Day 2 operations. VMware Cloud Foundation provides customers choice among a growing ecosystem of compatible public cloud services, turnkey integrated systems and certified server options:
- New cloud services -- VMware partners delivering services based on Cloud Foundation now include CenturyLink (announcement), Rackspace (announcement), and Fujitsu.
- New Integrated systems -- VMware partners announcing new solutions include the newly updated version of Dell EMC VxRack SDDC and the new releases of HDS UCP-RS, Fujitsu PRIMEFLEX and QCT QxStack.
- New certified servers -- VMware is announcing an expanded list of Cloud Foundation certified server options from Cisco, HDS, Fujitsu, and Lenovo.
VMware NSX Momentum: Networking and Security for Clouds and Cloud-Native Apps
With more than 2,600 customers, VMware NSX is the network virtualization and security platform that is helping customers make the transition to the digital era. As developers increasingly use containers, and the percentage of workloads running in public clouds increases, VMware NSX is expanding to offer a full range of networking and security services, natively, in these environments. VMware NSX is the de facto network for the software-defined data center, and a key component of VMware Cloud Foundation, VMware Cloud on AWS and multiple VMware Cloud Services. VMware Cloud Provider™ partners are adopting NSX to deliver services that unlock new revenue streams. Open and secure by design, scalable across different environments and delivered as code, NSX gives developers and partners the best environment to innovate on top of -- while adhering to the needs and policies set in place by their business.
Building and Enabling The World's Most Successful Network of Cloud Providers
Previously known as the vCloud Air Network, more than 4,300 VMware Cloud Providers operating under the VMware Cloud Provider Program provide tailored cloud solutions and services in more than 110 countries. VMware is delivering continued innovation for cloud providers including VMware vCloud Director, VMware NSX, VMware vCloud® Availability™ for cloud-based DR as a Service, and VMware Certified Reference Designs to enable delivery services to drive revenue and improve differentiation. The newest release of VMware vCloud Director® 9.0 will enable easy and intuitive cloud consumption for VMware customers, and will provide simple and secure migrations of vSphere workloads to the VMware Cloud Provider environments. New VMware Certified Reference Designs for Cloud Providers help lower OPEX and improve time-to-revenue. Read this VMware vCloud Director customer success story.
Customer and Partner Comments
Cardinal Health is a global Fortune 15 healthcare products and services company that helps pharmacies, hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers, clinical laboratories and physician offices focus on patient care while reducing costs, enhancing efficiency and improving quality. The company adopted a cloud-first strategy focused on AWS for net-new applications. "We're considering migration of legacy applications currently running on older hardware to take advantage of cloud economics," said Brandon Wagoner, senior engineer in Virtualization and Engineering, Cardinal Health. "However, a challenge we're facing is visibility into what makes up any given application environment before we move an app, and ongoing visibility and security once applications are running in AWS. With our early testing of VMware Network Insight, we believe the service can help with improved visibility, migration planning, faster troubleshooting and better security planning capabilities."
CenturyLink runs one of the world's largest VMware clouds, with more than 100,000 VMs under management for enterprise and government clients which deliver critical applications over a global network spanning 99 countries. "With today's digital economy fueling increased demands on IT infrastructure, the latest enhancements to our Dedicated Cloud Compute (DCC) service, based on VMware Cloud Foundation, build on our numerous years of hosted private cloud proficiency," said David Shacochis, vice president of Hybrid IT product management, CenturyLink. "The software-defined datacenter approach enables flexible delivery of enterprise applications connected to our global network across 32 international hosting locations. With this service, businesses can rapidly deploy new workloads and innovations in an easily scalable, highly secure environment leveraging VMware technology."
iland is a global cloud service provider of secure and compliant hosting for (IaaS), disaster recovery (DRaaS), and backup as a service (BaaS). "iland has experienced incredible growth and market recognition over the last year, becoming a recognized industry leader in DRaaS by Gartner and accelerating revenue growth to new levels," said Justin Giardina, chief technology offier, iland. "Our success is due in no small part to the strong partnership we have with VMware as a member of the Cloud Provider program. Innovative solutions such as VMware NSX and VMware vCloud Availability are at the heart of our next-generation service offerings, enabling us to make our customers' businesses compliant, resilient and secure."
- VMware Cloud on AWS is initially available in AWS US West (Oregon) region
- VMware Cloud Services including VMware Discovery, VMware Cost Insight, VMware Network Insight, VMware NSX Cloud, Wavefront by VMware and VMware AppDefense are initially available in the U.S. Visit http://cloud.vmware.com
- VMware vCloud Director 9.0 will be generally available in Q3 FY2018
- Read a perspective on today's VMworld news from Chris Wolf, Vice President and CTO, Global Field and Industry, VMware, "Innovation from the Data Center to the Edge to the Cloud"
- Go to the VMworld 2017 US Online Press Kit
- Read more about vCloud Director 9.0 here
- Read more about VMware Cloud on AWS here
- Read the AppDefense news release here
- Read more about Cost Insight in this blog
- Read more about Discovery in this blog
- Read more about Network Insight in this blog
- Read more about NSX Cloud in this blog
- Read more about Wavefront in this blog
- Connect with VMware on Twitter and Facebook
About VMware Cloud
VMware Cloud™ gives customers maximum flexibility to select the best cloud environment to deploy and run applications on any device, with the ability to leverage development platforms and building blocks for new applications -- while also maintaining consistent operations that help ensure the integrity of the entire IT portfolio. VMware Cloud provides the essential software foundation that delivers a common operating environment spanning on-premises data centers and leading public/managed clouds. VMware Cloud delivers the optimal environment for all applications: custom-built applications, packaged apps, virtualized, cloud-native and SaaS. VMware Cloud creates an ideal environment for building, testing and deploying production applications and is supported by a broad ecosystem of partners.
VMware, a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility, helps customers realize possibilities by accelerating their digital transformation journeys. With VMware solutions, organizations are improving business agility by modernizing data centers and integrating public clouds, driving innovation with modern apps, creating exceptional experiences by empowering the digital workspace, and safeguarding customer trust by transforming security. With 2016 revenue of $7.09 billion, VMware is headquartered in Palo Alto, CA and has over 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners worldwide.
VMware, VMworld, VMware Cloud, Cloud Foundation, NSX, VMware Cloud Provider, vCloud, vCloud Director, vSphere, AppDefense, Cost Insight, VMware Discovery, Network Insight, NSX Cloud, Wavefront, VMware Cloud Provider, vCloud Availability, and vCloud Director are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
This article may contain hyperlinks to non-VMware websites that are created and maintained by third parties who are solely responsible for the content on such websites.