Affirmed Networks, Colt Technology Services, Cyan and Versa Networks Team With VMware to Highlight the Transformative Power of the Telco Cloud
PALO ALTO, CA–(Marketwired – May 04, 2015) – VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced the company is teaming with Affirmed Networks, Colt Technology Services, Cyan Inc. and Versa Networks on demonstrations of network functions virtualization solutions for global communications service providers (CSP). At NFV World Congress in San Jose, Calif., May 6-8, 2015, VMware and its partners will highlight how CSPs can deploy NFV solutions into production networks on VMware’s proven vCloud for NFV platform to achieve faster time to market for new and differentiated services while driving sustainable cost reductions.
VMware vCloud® for NFV combines VMware’s production-proven virtualized compute, networking, storage and management solutions with integrated OpenStack. With support for more than 40 different virtual network functions (VNFs) from more than 30 vendors, VMware vCloud for NFV is a leading platform available today that runs different VNFs from different vendors side by side on the same unified platform for the Telco cloud.
VMware and its partners will deliver the following demonstrations in VMware/EMC booth 42/43 in the NFV World Congress exhibition area. Both demonstrations are based on the ETSI NFV reference architecture, utilizing the VMware vCloud for NFV platform across mobile core and vCPE use cases.
- Orchestrating NFV Virtual CPE (vCPE) Services Across the Data Center and WAN: Colt Technology Services, Cyan, Versa Networks and VMware will deliver a proof-of-concept (PoC) demonstration of end-to-end service orchestration and management of vCPE virtual network functions across an NFV-ready data center infrastructure and wide area network. The PoC network is based on the ETSI NFV reference architecture, utilizing vCloud for NFV as the NFV Infrastructure (NFVI) and the Virtualized Infrastructure Manager (VIM); Versa Networks FlexVNF™ software providing a rich set of hyper-elastic, multi-service and multi-tenant virtualized network functions (VNFs); and Cyan Blue Planet as the central service orchestrator to manage and automate the processes associated with on-boarding and removing VNFs, as well as service chaining. This proof of concept demonstration will showcase an open NFV architecture that allows network operators to efficiently deploy VNFs, as well as rapidly develop and operationalize innovative new, value-added NFV-based business services.
- Dynamic Scaling and Service Creation in the virtual Evolved Packet Core (vEPC) – VMware and Affirmed Networks will demonstrate the Affirmed Mobile Content Cloud™, a vEPC suite purpose built for deployment in virtualized networks running on the vCloud for NFV platform. The capabilities on display will include multi-dimensional dynamic scaling, the Acuitas EMS and VNF management system, and active network service creation in real time. The Affirmed Mobile Content Cloud is currently in production with Tier 1 operators around the world utilizing the vCloud NFV platform as the NFV Infrastructure (NFVI) and the Virtualized Infrastructure Manager (VIM).
- “While the mega-scale data center providers of the world reap the benefits of the transition toward cloud-based infrastructure, many communications service providers are struggling to keep up. At NFV World Congress, VMware and its partners will help service providers in their transition to the cloud by demonstrating NFV’s true business value and application in real-world scenarios. This will help advance NFV from proof-of-concept to practical reality.” – David Wright, vice president of operations, Telco NFV group at VMware
- “Software-defined networking and network functions virtualization are driving a major transformation of the communications industry, and both share a common theme: software. The need for more automation, better integration and increased flexibility are all well recognized, but it’s clear that a well-established industry like data networking won’t transform and re-invent itself overnight. Through partnerships such as those we’ve formed with Cyan, Versa Networks and VMware, we will lead the industry into the new software-defined reality, and in the process, help re-invent what’s possible in terms of service delivery, cost management and operational excellence.” – Nicolas Fischbach, Director Strategy, Architecture and Innovation, Colt Technology Services
- “The evolution from legacy solutions to much more flexible, virtual architectures represents a truly disruptive shift for the industry as a whole. The deployment of virtualized mobile networks is not just providing operators with savings from a capital perspective. More importantly it is accelerating the way new services are created and is opening up lucrative new revenue streams. Together Affirmed Networks and VMware are driving this evolution by delivering the types of applications and environments that will be the foundation of these new networks.” – Hassan Ahmed, Chairman and CEO, Affirmed Networks
- “The Network Functions Virtualization era is upon us and customers are placing a high-premium on demonstrations that are based on real-world use cases and deployment scenarios. VMware, Cyan, and Versa Networks are showing technology at the NFV World Congress developed for customer consumption — and in that way — is different from most of the demonstrations in the market.” – Mike Hatfield, President and Co-Founder, Cyan
- “Versa Networks is excited to be working closely with industry leaders VMware and Cyan to provide software solutions for next-generation business-class managed services. Through our collaborations with some of the world’s most innovative communications service providers, like Colt Technology Services, Versa Networks has raised the agility and profitability of managed services to an unprecedented level.” – Kumar Mehta, Founder & CEO of Versa Networks
- Read about VMware’s launch of vCloud for NFV with integrated OpenStack
- Read more about ways VMware is working with CSPs to move towards NFV as a means to drive service transformation.
- Learn more at Tribal Knowledge, the VMware company blog, for the latest VMware and industry news.
- Connect with VMware on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+
VMware is a leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware’s industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a brave new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application. With 2014 revenues of $6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, and vCloud are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. and its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the world “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership between VMware and any other company.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding plans for VMware and its partners to deliver enable network operators to operationalize NFV solutions and to lead the industry, the expected features and benefits of such solutions for customers and their deployment by communications service providers. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to (i) changes to priorities and spending allocations for VMware and its partners; (ii) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (iii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iv) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the enterprise software and network functions virtualization markets, and new product and marketing initiatives by our competitors; (v) our customers’ ability to develop, and to transition to, new products and computing strategies such as NFV and mobile device management; (vi) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology; (vii) rapid technological and market changes in virtualization software and application platforms for enterprise computing; (viii) changes to product development timelines; (ix) the successful interoperability and integration of the technologies involved; (x) VMware’s ability to protect its proprietary technology; and (xi) VMware’s ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees.. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K that we may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
Roger T. Fortier
VMware Global Influencer Relations