VMware Expands Scope of Contributions to Include Compute, Networking and Storage; Company Delivers OpenStack Neutron Support for VMware NSX Network Virtualization
PALO ALTO, CA and HONG KONG, CHINA--(Marketwired - Nov 4, 2013) - VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced the company continues to drive active involvement and leadership in OpenStack, and will have a broad presence at the OpenStack Summit in Hong Kong, November 5-7, 2013. Once again, VMware was a top 10 contributor to OpenStack and the company has expanded its scope of OpenStack contributions to include compute, networking and storage. At the event, attendees will have the opportunity to attend more than a dozen sessions presented by VMware's OpenStack experts, as well have access to hands-on labs to take OpenStack on VMware for a test drive.
"OpenStack itself is a framework that enables the use of different compute, network, and storage technologies to build clouds," said John Gilmartin, vice president of Cloud Infrastructure at VMware. "With OpenStack, the quality of the resulting cloud both from a consumer and operator perspective will be heavily dependent on components the customer chooses. VMware provides a proven portfolio of best-in-class components, including existing technologies such as VMware vSphere® and new innovations such as VMware NSX and VMware Virtual SAN, for building OpenStack clouds. We have a dedicated software development team that is focused on OpenStack, making sure that the best way to run OpenStack is on top of VMware technologies."
With the release of OpenStack Havana, VMware has delivered the following:
- OpenStack Nova (Compute) - Worked with other leading OpenStack contributors such as HP, IBM, and Canonical to further improve VMware vSphere support in Nova, which VMware contributed in the Grizzly release. The vSphere support in Nova was expanded to include new features, including config-drive, boot from volume, additional disk types, VNC console, instance snapshot and more.
- OpenStack Neutron (Networking) - Continued community-wide leadership on the Neutron networking project. Neutron supports VMware NSX network virtualization, including in-kernel virtual switch in VMware vSphere 5.5, load-balancing (LBaaS), and stateful firewall (FWaaS).
- OpenStack Cinder (Storage) - Delivered VMware-contributed VMDK driver for Cinder which allows OpenStack clouds to take advantage of VMware Virtual SAN -- VMware's new software-defined storage solution that creates a distributed shared datastore from locally attached disks -- as well as all vSphere supported storage arrays.
VMware Sessions at OpenStack Summit Hong Kong
The VMware team will deliver more than a dozen sessions at OpenStack Summit that cover the full spectrum of OpenStack technologies. Sessions will range from technical deep dives, to customer success stories, to industry panels with OpenStack peers. A full list of VMware sessions can he found here.
- Watch this video to see OpenStack, vSphere, and VMware NSX in action
- Try out OpenStack on VMware in our Hands-On-Lab: HOL-SDC-1320
- Easily deploy an OpenStack on vSphere lab environment using VOVA
- Ask questions and get help on the VMware OpenStack Community page
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2012 revenues of $4.61 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 55,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, vSphere and Virtual SAN are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
VMware Global Communications
H+K Strategies for VMware