VMware To Acquire Wanova, Intelligent Desktop Solutions Provider
Addition of Wanova Mirage™ to Advance VMware End-User Computing Portfolio, Enabling Centralized Image Management and Persistent User Installed Applications for Both Physical and Virtual Desktops
PALO ALTO, Calif., May 22, 2012 — VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Wanova Inc.,a leading provider of intelligent desktop solutions that centralize and simplify the management of physical desktop images while enabling users to take advantage of the native performance of a PC.
“The acquisition of Wanova will bring together industry leading solutions for centralized image management of both physical and virtual desktops,” said Jeff Jennings, vice president, Enterprise Desktop, VMware. “This combination has the potential to redefine the desktop virtualization landscape. By blurring the boundaries of virtual vs. physical desktops, the benefits of central image management and persistent user installed applications can be extended to all systems within a business – physical, virtual, tethered desktops, or roaming Mac and PC laptops.”
“Business requirements are constantly evolving and in turn, IT teams also need to evolve from managing devices towards managing user workspaces and experience across multiple devices. The combination of VMware and Wanova addresses this evolution in a unique and innovative way,” said Sebastiano Tevarotto, Chairman and CEO, Wanova. “We're excited to join VMware in enabling a more intelligent desktop infrastructure by providing centralized image management, but enabling those images to run where it makes sense for the user: in a VDI session, on a client hypervisor, or natively on a PC.”
A New Way to Work
Enterprises are dealing with two fundamental client computing pain points – providing secure access to an increasingly mobile workforce; and managing the burgeoning diversity of data, applications and devices needed to run their business. These challenges result from the transformative nature of cloud computing and the post-PC era which require a new way to work.
The VMware end-user computing portfolio seeks to free employees and IT organizations from more than two decades of complex, device-centric computing, and delivers a more user-centric experience for the connected enterprise. In this new model, organizations leverage hybrid cloud resources – while maintaining a managed, secure environment – to provide new ways for employees to collaborate across applications and data from any device.
Centralized Image Management of Both Physical and Virtual Desktops
The combination of VMware View™ and Wanova Mirage™ will enable IT organizations to offer a better user experience for employees and increased operational savings across all device types, by:
- Deploying Centralized, Single Image Management for Both Physical and Virtual Desktops – IT organizations will be able to automatically synchronize PC image updates/upgrades to all types of endpoints – physical virtual, tethered desktops, or roaming laptops (Mac and PC).
- Supporting Departmental and User Installed Applications – Advanced layering technology will enable the deployment of persistent departmental and/or user installed applications in centrally managed desktop images, providing every end user with a low cost personalized physical or virtual desktop.
- Gaining High Availability and Rapid Disaster Recovery – Image-syncing technology efficiently stores all elements of a user’s desktop image in a company’s private cloud for complete management and backup, while desktop streaming and layering technology enables quick recovery and repair services for all types of endpoints, even over WAN.
- Delivering Universal Access– Image-syncing and layering technology can enable universal access that facilitates seamless transitions between all types of endpoints – physical, virtual, tethered desktops, or roaming laptops (Mac or PC).
- Read more about what the addition of Wanova will bring to VMware View and the growing VMware End-User Computing portfolio from Scott Davis, End-User Computing CTO, VMware
- Read more about Wanova joining VMware from Issy Ben-Shaul, CTO and Co-Founder, Wanova
- Learn more about VMware View™ 5.1 and an updated portfolio of end-user computing solutions designed to empower a more agile, productive and connected enterprise
- Follow the VMware End-User Computing team on Twitter, Facebookand Spiceworks.
About Wanova Inc.
Wanova Inc., provides a centralized endpoint management and recovery solution. Wanova Mirage™ software centralizes the full contents of each desktop in the data center for management and data protection purposes, distributes execution to the endpoint for superior user experience, and optimizes data transfer in between. Wanova’s unique architecture enables companies to reduce desktop TCO while dramatically improving IT operations and users’ productivity. Wanova is privately held and headquartered in Campbell, California, with a development center in Netanya, Israel. For more information please visit, http://www.wanova.com.
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2011 revenues of $3.77 billion, VMware has more than 350,000 customers and 50,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
# # #
VMware and VMware View are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding the consummation of the acquisition of Wanova, the planned integration of Wanova technologies with VMware product offerings such as VMware’s end user computing solutions and the prospective benefits to customers. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) the satisfaction of closing conditions for the transaction; (ii) the successful integration of Wanova and VMware technologies; (iii) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (iv) delays or reductions in consumer or information technology spending; (v) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the virtualization market, and new product and marketing initiatives by our competitors; (vi) our customers’ ability to develop, and to transition to, new products and computing strategies such as cloud computing and desktop virtualization; (vii) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology; (viii) rapid technological and market changes in virtualization software and platforms for cloud and desktop computing; (ix) changes to product development timelines; (x) VMware’s ability to protect its proprietary technology; and (xi) VMware’s ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees.. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K that we may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.