Integration of Palo Alto Networks and AirWatch® by VMware Technologies Protect Mobile Devices and Enterprise Networks from Cyber Threats
Santa Clara, Calif., and Palo Alto, Calif. – March 31, 2015 – Palo Alto Networks® (NYSE: PANW), the leader in enterprise security, and VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced an expansion of their strategic partnership to address mobile security needs.
Mobile computing is transforming the ways organizations do business. Users no longer stop working once they leave the office, and they need secure access to business information at anytime, from anywhere, and from any device. This introduces new security challenges for organizations by exposing them to new risk vectors and creating a need to protect business information and applications accessed via employee-owned devices, while also respecting the privacy of personal information and traffic.
To address these challenges, Palo Alto Networks and VMware will integrate their enterprise security and mobile management technologies to give organizations a rich and unique combination of mobile device management (MDM) with advanced threat prevention for secure enterprise BYOD support. This builds upon endeavors started in 2014 when the companies announced a software-defined data center reseller agreement and network security and network virtualization solutions.
· “Employees love the flexibility that using their mobile devices for business provides them, but IT teams often struggle to enforce security policies without compromising usability. Integrating our Next-Generation Firewall, WildFire and GlobalProtect technologies with the AirWatch platform addresses the concerns of both parties, giving users a positive mobile experience while existing security policies are enforced.”
− Lee Klarich, senior vice president of Product Management, Palo Alto Networks
· “In a world of rising mobile threats Palo Alto Networks and VMware are building upon the comprehensive AirWatch mobility platform to provide another layer of security, automation and ease of management for customers around the globe.”
− Noah Wasmer, vice president, End-User Computing, VMware
The unique Palo Alto Networks Next-Generation Firewall, WildFire and GlobalProtect technologies, coupled with the AirWatch by VMware Enterprise Mobility Management platform, can help customers enforce security policy to protect networks from unauthorized or infected devices, provide the appropriate level of access to apps and data for mobile users, and enable mobile devices to be properly configured for business use and connection to a global threat intelligence service to identify and eradicate malicious content. Detailed capabilities include:
- Malware Detection : Palo Alto Networks WildFire security subscription service identifies known and previously unknown mobile malware. By integrating the intelligence provided by WildFire, users can identify infected applications and take immediate and automated action for security and containment, such as creating an application blacklist.
- Network Protection : Organizations need to make sure only approved devices are used with sensitive applications and networks; this is accomplished with Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect Host Information Profile (HIP), a direct tie between information about the mobile device, its configuration and what data and applications the device can access.
- VPN and Network Security : Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect provides a secure connection between AirWatch managed mobile devices and the Palo Alto Networks Next-Generation Firewall at the device or application level utilizing per-app VPN. This allows consistent inspection of traffic and enforcement of network security policy for threat prevention, wherever the user goes.
The Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect iOS VPN app deployed by AirWatch is available today. Additional integration components have targeted availability in the second half of 2015.
For more information about Palo Alto Networks technologies, visit: https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/products/technologies.html .
For more information about AirWatch by VMware, visit : http://www.air-watch.com.
For more information about the integration, visit : http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2015/03/palo-alto-networks-airwatch-integration-true-mobile-security .
About Palo Alto Networks
Palo Alto Networks is leading a new era in cybersecurity by protecting thousands of enterprise, government, and service provider networks from cyber threats. Unlike fragmented legacy products, our security platform safely enables business operations and delivers protection based on what matters most in today's dynamic computing environments: applications, users, and content. Find out more at www.paloaltonetworks.com.
VMware is a leader in cloud computing and business mobility. Built on VMware’s industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a brave new model for IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application. With 2014 revenues of $6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with office throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
Palo Alto Networks, the Palo Alto Networks Logo, WildFire and GlobalProtect are trademarks of Palo Alto Networks, Inc. in the United States and in jurisdictions throughout the world. All other trademarks, trade names or service marks used or mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.
VMware and AirWatch are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the world “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership between VMware and any other company.
AirWatch by VMware
+ 1 404.353.6253
Palo Alto Networks