VMware Counts Rational Software, Compuware and Vignette Among First Customers of Latest Generation of "Virtual Computing" Desktop Software
Corporations worldwide use VMware Workstation 3.0 to run multiple OSes on a single PC
PALO ALTO, Calif., December 3 , 2001-- VMware, Inc., the global leader in virtualization software for Intel computers, today announced that Rational Software, Compuware and Vignette are among the first customers of VMware(tm) Workstation 3.0, the latest generation of its award-winning desktop software for technical professionals. Workstation 3.0 delivers significant enhancements over previous releases and new features - including support for Windows XP - that dramatically expand the utility and value of virtual computing across the entire enterprise. All three companies are long-time customers of VMware, having adopted previous generations of VMware software.
VMware Workstation enables multiple operating systems to run on physical computers in secure, transportable, and high-performance virtual machines. As a result, technical professionals spend more time being productive and less time configuring hardware, installing software, rebooting, or reconfiguring systems.
"The internal Software Quality Test Automation group at Rational Software relies on VMware Workstation as a cornerstone of our unattended build-triggered test system," said Gail Tenney, Software Quality Assurance Manager at Rational Software. "The speed, quality, and ease of use of the VMware virtual machines are instrumental to our efforts to test on a variety of platforms in multiple languages in the time-critical application of build verification across multiple sites."
Compuware, a multi-billion dollar software and professional services company, is using VMware Workstation 3.0 in several of its software development groups. "With VMware Workstation, Compuware has been able to streamline many of our development, testing and support activities," said Bruce Krauskopf Director, QACenter Technology Services. "It has helped us create easily accessible, standardized software installations that can be quickly shared throughout the technical organization. This has enhanced our software development process and helped reduce development and support costs."
VMware also has a line of server products designed to enable businesses to logically partition their server resources for server consolidation, capacity planning, and rapid provisioning. The result is better server utilization while ensuring application performance.
Powerful Software for the Enterprise
With VMware Workstation:
- Software developers can easily develop and test on multiple different operating systems or versions of operating systems. Developers can explore new applications, tools, and operating systems within virtual machines without risking damage to their production development environment.
- Software test and quality assurance engineers can test software on large numbers of different operating systems and configurations.
- Help desk and technical support professionals can better support customers by using virtual machines configured with the same operating systems and applications software as their customers.
- Computer based training organizations can create courseware within virtual machines and distribute it to training classrooms. Installing the class material is now as simple as copying a few files to a desktop computer.
- Sales and marketing professionals can demonstrate software running within virtual machines, making demonstrations easier to produce and distribute, easier to install, more reliable to run, and more convincing.
Numerous publications have honored VMware products, including Computerworld, Infoworld, PC Magazine, PC Magazin (Germany), Software Development Magazine, Linux Magazine, Winmag.com, Windows Forest (Japan), and Australian Personal Computer. In a recent review, CNET recommended VMware Workstation above competing solutions for running multiple operating systems and their applications on PCs.
VMware, Inc. virtualizes computing, dramatically reducing the cost and complexity of delivering enterprise services. The VMware virtualization layer turns your physical computers into a pool of logical computing resources. The resources can then be dynamically allocated to any operating system or application at your choice of granularity. As a result, our customers can use our software to consolidate servers and manage server capacity, rapidly provision, streamline application deployment, guarantee service levels, and speed development and testing. VMware was founded in 1998 and we have more than 750,000 registered users internationally. We're based in Palo Alto, California and we're on the Web at http://www.vmware.com.
# # #
(C)2001 VMWARE, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. VMWARE AND THE VMWARE BOXES LOGO ARE TRADEMARKS OF VMWARE, INC. MICROSOFT, WINDOWS, AND WINDOWS NT ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF MICROSOFT CORPORATION. LINUX IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF LINUS TORVALDS. ALL other trademarks AND NAMES MENTIONED HEREIN MAY BE TRADEMARKS OF THEIR RESPECTIVE COMPANIES.