First Quarter 2018 Total Revenue of $48.4 million, up 35% Year-over-Year
First Quarter 2018 Cloud Revenue of $11.7 million, up 195% Year-over-Year
Ended the quarter with 4,006 total customers, including 1,870 cloud customers
WALTHAM, Mass., June 07, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Carbon Black, Inc. (NASDAQ:CBLK), a leader in next-generation endpoint security, today announced its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2018.
“We began 2018 with strong financial and operational results highlighted by 195% cloud revenue growth,” said Patrick Morley, President and Chief Executive Officer of Carbon Black. “Our performance was driven by growing demand for our next-generation endpoint security platform, the CB Predictive Security Cloud. The PSC protects customers from today’s most advanced cyber threats, including ransomware and new types of attacks that have never been seen before and are undetectable by legacy AV products.”
Morley continued, “The CB Predictive Security Cloud platform leverages our unique ability to capture and analyze unfiltered endpoint data, positioning us to disrupt a $19 billion addressable market comprised of endpoint security market and adjacent categories. Our successful IPO provides significant resources to pursue our long-term growth strategy, which we believe will increase the value we deliver to customers and generate attractive returns for shareholders.”
First Quarter 2018 Financial Highlights
- Revenue: Total revenue was $48.4 million in the first quarter fiscal 2018, an increase of 35% year-over-year. Subscription revenue was $45.4 million, an increase of 38% year-over-year, and services revenue was $3.0 million, an increase of 4% year-over-year.
- Gross Profit: Gross profit was $38.2 million in the first quarter fiscal 2018, representing a 78.9% gross margin, consistent with the year-ago period. Non-GAAP gross profit was $38.7 million, representing an 80.0% non-GAAP gross margin.
- Loss from Operations: Loss from operations was ($17.8) million in the first quarter fiscal 2018, compared to ($12.5) million in the year-ago period. Non-GAAP loss from operations was ($11.1) million, compared to ($9.9) million in the year-ago period.
- Net Loss: Net loss was ($20.6 million). Net loss attributable to common stockholders was ($60.6) million, or ($5.38) per share based on 11.3 million weighted-average shares outstanding, in the first quarter fiscal 2018. Net loss attributable to common stockholders includes ($40.0) million of accretion of preferred stock to redemption value. In the year ago period, net loss was ($12.4) million and net loss attributable to common stockholders was ($24.1) million, or ($2.40) per share based on 10.0 million weighted-average shares outstanding. Non-GAAP net loss was ($11.0) million, or ($0.98) per share based on 11.3 million weighted-average shares outstanding. This compares to ($10.0) million, or ($0.99) per share based on 10.0 million non-GAAP weighted-average shares outstanding, in the year-ago period.
- Cash Flow: As of March 31, 2018, Carbon Black had $33.7 million in cash and cash equivalents. During the three months ended March 31, 2018, Carbon Black used ($0.8) million of cash in operations and ($1.8) million in capital expenditures and capitalized software development costs, leading to negative free cash flow of ($2.6) million, compared to negative free cash flow of ($8.1) million in the year-ago period. Subsequent to the end of the quarter, the company closed its initial public offering of common stock on May 8, 2018, which generated proceeds, net of underwriting discounts and commissions, of $162.6 million.
A reconciliation of each of non-GAAP gross profit, non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP loss from operations, non-GAAP net loss, non-GAAP net loss per share and free cash flow to the most directly comparable GAAP measure has been provided in the tables at the end of this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included below under the heading “Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
Please note that all results and guidance are based on the new revenue recognition standard ASC 606.
First Quarter 2018 and Recent Business Highlights
- Successfully completed its initial public offering and listed its shares on the Nasdaq Global Market in May 2018. Carbon Black sold 9,200,000 shares of common stock at a price of $19.00 per share, including the full exercise of the underwriter’s option to purchase an additional 1,200,000 shares of common stock, for total proceeds of approximately $162.6 million net of underwriters’ discounts and commissions.
- Continued to grow its customer base, ending the quarter with 4,006 total customers, up from 2,648 in the year-ago period and from 3,739 at the end of the previous quarter. Growth was driven by strong demand across the entire product portfolio and customer acquisition across a broad range of industries. New customers, for example, included a top 10 global automaker, a leading global ecommerce company, a large European healthcare provider, and one of the world’s largest military organizations.
- Continued traction with our cloud products, providing powerful customer validation of the CB Predictive Security Cloud™ (PSC) platform. Growth of customers who licensed at least one cloud product increased to 1,870 at the end of the first quarter, compared to 552 in the year-ago period and 1,605 at the end of the previous quarter.
- Delivered CB Defense for VMware, a new offering on the Predictive Security Cloud platform, jointly developed through an exclusive partnership with VMware and designed to bring a new level of security to software-defined data centers. Carbon Black also saw significant uptake in its first full quarter of shipping CB ThreatSight, a managed triage alert service that leverages the Predictive Security Cloud to help understaffed security teams prioritize the most threatening alerts in their environment.
- Expanded its relationship with IBM Security by integrating the CB Predictive Security Cloud with the newly launched IBM X-Force Threat Management Services. Carbon Black also announced that strong customer adoption of existing Carbon Black / IBM integrations has fueled two new integrations between CB Defense and IBM Security’s QRadar and BigFix.
Based on information as of today, June 7, 2018, Carbon Black is issuing the following financial guidance for the second quarter and full year fiscal 2018:
|Second Quarter Fiscal 2018||Full Year Fiscal 2018|
|Total Revenue||$48.5 million to $ 49.0 million||$ 203.0 million to $204.5 million|
|Non-GAAP Loss from Operations||($18.0) million to ($17.5) million||($63.5) million to ($62.0) million|
|Non-GAAP Net Loss per Share||($0.42) to ($0.41)||($1.35) to ($1.32)|
Carbon Black’s forward-looking non-GAAP loss from operations and non-GAAP net loss per share exclude estimates for stock-based compensation expense, amortization of acquired intangibles, legal settlement amount, change in fair value of warrant liability and accretion of preferred stock to redemption value. Reconciliation of non-GAAP loss from operations and non-GAAP net loss per share guidance to the most directly comparable GAAP measures is not available without unreasonable efforts on a forward-looking basis due to the high variability, complexity and low visibility with respect to the charges excluded from these non-GAAP measures, particularly with respect to stock-based compensation expense. Stock-based compensation expense is directly impacted by unpredictable fluctuations in our stock price and by future hiring, turnover and retention needs, all of which are difficult to predict and subject to change. We expect the variability of the above charges to have a significant, and potentially unpredictable, impact on our future GAAP loss from operations and GAAP net loss per share.
Conference Call Information
Carbon Black will host a conference call today, June 7, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) to discuss its financial results and business outlook. A live webcast of the conference call will be available on available on the “Events” page of the Carbon Black investor relations website at https://investors.carbonblack.com/. To access the call by phone, dial (866) 394-4596 (domestic) or (210) 874-7849 (international). A replay of this conference call will be available for a limited time at (855) 859-2056 (domestic) or (404) 537-3406 (international) with passcode 7788959. A replay of the webcast will also be available for a limited time at https://investors.carbonblack.com/.
About Carbon Black
Carbon Black (NASDAQ:CBLK) is a leading provider of next-generation endpoint security. Carbon Black serves more than 4,000 customers globally, including 33 of the Fortune 100. As a cybersecurity innovator, Carbon Black has pioneered multiple endpoint security categories, including application control, endpoint detection and response (EDR), and next-generation antivirus (NGAV). Leveraging its big data and analytics cloud platform – the CB Predictive Security Cloud – Carbon Black solutions enable customers to defend against the most advanced cyber threats, including malware, ransomware, and non-malware attacks. Deployed via the cloud, on premise, or as a managed service, customers use Carbon Black solutions to lock down critical systems, hunt threats, and replace legacy antivirus.
This press release includes certain “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, or the Securities Act, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, including statements concerning our financial guidance for the second quarter and full year fiscal 2018, our position to execute on our go-to-market strategy, our introduction of future product enhancements and the potential advantages of those enhancements, and our ability to expand our leadership position and drive revenue growth. These forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, plans, objectives, expectations and intentions and other statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts and statements identified by words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “continue,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “plan,” “project,” “will,” “would” or the negative or plural of these words or similar expressions or variations. These forward-looking statements reflect our current views about our plans, intentions, expectations, strategies and prospects, which are based on the information currently available to us and on assumptions we have made. Although we believe that our plans, intentions, expectations, strategies and prospects as reflected in or suggested by those forward-looking statements are reasonable, we can give no assurance that the plans, intentions, expectations or strategies will be attained or achieved. Furthermore, actual results may differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements and are subject to a variety of assumptions, uncertainties, risks and factors that are beyond our control including, without limitation: our history of losses; failure (or the perceived failure) of our products to detect cyber attacks; our investments in new products and our ability to introduce new features, services or enhancements; the intense competition that we face in our market; our ability to effectively expand our sales and marketing organization; our ability to add new customers or increase sales to our existing customers; our ability to maintain, protect, enforce and enhance our intellectual property; the growth in the market for next-generation endpoint security solutions and adjacent security markets and our ability to penetrate those markets; our ability to manage our growth effectively and successfully recruit additional highly-qualified personnel; the price volatility of our common stock; and other risks detailed under the caption “Risk Factors” in the final prospectus for our initial public offering filed on May 4, 2018 pursuant to Rule 424(b) of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, with the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), as updated by our subsequently filed quarterly report on Form 10-Q and our other SEC filings. Except as required by law, we undertake no duty or obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events, changes in expectations or otherwise.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This press release includes the following financial measures defined as non-GAAP financial measures by the SEC: non-GAAP gross profit, non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP loss from operations, non-GAAP net loss, non-GAAP net loss per share and free cash flow. Non-GAAP gross profit, non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP loss from operations and non-GAAP net loss exclude stock-based compensation expense, amortization of acquired intangibles, legal settlement amount, and, in the case of non-GAAP net loss, change in fair value of warrant liability and accretion of preferred stock to redemption value. Non-GAAP net loss per share is calculated by dividing non-GAAP net loss by the weighted-average shares used to compute net loss per share attributable to common stockholders, basic and diluted. Carbon Black uses these non-GAAP financial measures internally in analyzing its financial results and believes they are useful to investors, as a supplement to GAAP measures, in evaluating Carbon Black’s ongoing operational performance. Carbon Black believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides an additional tool for investors to use in evaluating ongoing operating results and trends and in comparing its financial results with other companies in Carbon Black’s industry, many of which present similar non-GAAP financial measures to investors.
Free cash flow represents net cash used in operating activities less capital expenditures and capitalized software development costs, if any. Carbon Black uses free cash flow to understand and evaluate its liquidity and to generate future operating plans. The exclusion of capital expenditures and amounts capitalized for software development facilitates comparisons of Carbon Black’s liquidity on a period-to-period basis and excludes items that it does not consider to be indicative of its liquidity. Carbon Black believes that free cash flow is a measure of liquidity that provides useful information to investors in understanding and evaluating the strength of its liquidity and future ability to generate cash that can be used for strategic opportunities or investing in its business in the same manner as Carbon Black’s management and board of directors.
Non-GAAP financial measures have limitations as an analytical tool and should not be considered in isolation from, or as a substitute for, financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP. In particular, other companies may report non-GAAP gross profit, non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP loss from operations, non-GAAP net loss, non-GAAP net loss per share, free cash flow or similarly titled measures but calculate them differently, which reduces their usefulness as comparative measures. Investors are encouraged to review the reconciliation of these non-GAAP measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures, as presented below. This earnings press release and any future releases containing such non-GAAP reconciliations can also be found on the Investor Relations page of Carbon Black’s website at https://investors.carbonblack.com/.
Carbon Black and Predictive Security Cloud are registered trademarks or trademarks of Carbon Black, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions.
Investor Relations Contact
ICR for Carbon Black
Media Relations Contact
Senior PR Manager