VMware annuncia i risultati del terzo trimestre 2018
Crescita anno su anno dell’11%, con un fatturato di 1,98 miliardi di dollari
Si rafforzano il portafoglio di soluzioni e le aree geografiche raggiunte
Milano, 1 dicembre 2017 — VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), leader globale nell’infrastruttura cloud e nella business mobility, ha annunciato i risultati finanziari per il terzo trimestre 2017. Questi i dati principali:
- Il fatturato per il terzo trimestre è stato di 1,98 miliardi di dollari, +11% rispetto allo stesso periodo del 2016.
- Il fatturato derivante dalle licenze per il terzo trimestre è stato di 785 milioni di dollari, +14% rispetto allo stesso periodo del 2016.
- L’utile netto GAAP per il terzo trimestre ha raggiunto 443 milioni di dollari, o 1,07 dollari per azione dopo la diluizione, +43% per azione dopo la diluizione rispetto ai 319 milioni di dollari, o 0,75 dollari per azione dopo la diluizione, del terzo trimestre 2016. L’utile netto Non-GAAP per il terzo trimestre è stato di 553 milioni di dollari o 1,34 dollari per azione dopo la diluizione, un +17% rispetto ai 485 milioni di dollari, o 1,14 dollari per azione dopo la diluizione, del terzo trimestre 2016.
- L’utile operativo GAAP per il terzo trimestre ha raggiunto 465 milioni di dollari, +22% rispetto allo stesso periodo del 2016. L’utile operativo non-GAAP è stato di 689 milioni di dollari, +16% rispetto allo stesso periodo del 2016.
- Il flusso di cassa operativo è stato di 970 milioni di dollari. Il flusso di cassa disponibile è stato di 911 milioni di dollari.
- Le disponibilità liquide, i mezzi equivalenti e gli investimenti a breve termine sono stati di 11,6 miliardi di dollari e il reddito da capitale è stato di 5,6 miliardi di dollari al 3 novembre 2017.
"Dopo una forte stagione caratterizzata dal VMworld, siamo entusiasti dei nuovi prodotti e servizi che abbiamo presentato lo scorso trimestre dimostrando il nostro impegno per l'innovazione e la risoluzione di problemi complessi dei clienti", ha commentato Pat Gelsinger, CEO di VMware. "Siamo molto soddisfatti dei risultati del terzo trimestre; la nostra strategia continua ad avere successo con i clienti che scelgono e sfruttano il nostro ampio portafoglio di prodotti e servizi".
VMware Reports Fiscal 2018 Third Quarter Results
Year-over-year revenue growth of 11% to $1.98 billion
Continued broad-based strength across product portfolio and geographies
PALO ALTO, Calif., November 30, 2017 — VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility, today announced financial results for fiscal 2018 third quarter:
- Revenue for the third quarter was $1.98 billion, an increase of 11% from the third quarter of 2016.
- License revenue for the third quarter was $785 million, an increase of 14% from the third quarter of 2016.
- GAAP net income for the third quarter was $443 million, or $1.07 per diluted share, up 43% per diluted share compared to $319 million, or $0.75 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2016. Non-GAAP net income for the quarter was $553 million, or $1.34 per diluted share, up 17% per diluted share compared to $485 million, or $1.14 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2016.
- GAAP operating income for the third quarter was $465 million, an increase of 22% from the third quarter of 2016. Non-GAAP operating income for the third quarter was $689 million, an increase of 16% from the third quarter of 2016.
- Operating cash flows for the third quarter were $970 million. Free cash flows for the quarter were $911 million.
- Cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments were $11.6 billion, and unearned revenue was $5.6 billion as of November 3, 2017.
- Total revenue plus sequential change in total unearned revenue grew 21% year-over-year.
- License revenue plus sequential change in unearned license revenue grew 16% year-over-year.
“Coming off of a strong VMworld season, we are excited about the new products and services we have introduced this past quarter demonstrating our commitment to innovation and solving complex customer problems,” commented Pat Gelsinger, chief executive officer, VMware. “We are very pleased with our Q3 results; our strategy continues to resonate with customers as they embrace and leverage our broad portfolio of products and services.”
“We had a solid third quarter,” said Zane Rowe, executive vice president and chief financial officer, VMware. “Our results reflect continued strength across the portfolio and customers’ commitment to VMware as a strategic partner for both on-premises and hybrid-cloud software solutions.”
Recent Highlights & Strategic Announcements
- At VMworld 2017, VMware hosted over 30,000 customers, partners and influencers in Las Vegas and Barcelona and introduced a wave of new products and services focused on the key technologies across cloud, mobility, networking and security. Highlights include:
- VMware unveiled an expanded set of products and services as part of VMware Cloud™ that are available through VMware and partners, including:
- VMware Cloud on AWS is now initially available in AWS U.S. West region. VMware Cloud on AWS brings VMware’s software-defined data center to the AWS Cloud, allowing customers to run applications across operationally consistent VMware vSphere®-based private, public and hybrid cloud environments, with optimized access to AWS services
- New VMware Cloud Services that enable end-to-end visibility into cloud usage, costs and networks, with consistent networking and security across public clouds and on-premises environments
- VMware announced its breakthrough solution for securing applications running on virtualized or cloud environments—VMware AppDefense™. It helps to deliver an intent-based security model and enables least privilege environments for critical applications.
- VMware and Pivotal Software, Inc., in collaboration with Google Cloud, unveiled VMware Enterprise PKS, a commercial release of the open source Cloud Foundry Container Runtime technology that, when available, will help Global 2000 companies operationalize Kubernetes.
- VMware unveiled an expanded set of products and services as part of VMware Cloud™ that are available through VMware and partners, including:
- VMware announced its intent to acquire VeloCloud Networks, Inc., provider of industry-leading cloud-delivered software-defined wide-area network (SD-WAN) technology for enterprises and service providers. Once the acquisition closes, VeloCloud will enable VMware to build on the success of its industry-leading network virtualization platform—VMware NSX®—and expand its networking portfolio to address end-to-end automation, application continuity, branch transformation and security from data center to cloud to edge.
- According to IDC’s 2Q2017 Worldwide Quarterly Converged Systems Tracker, VMware, based on sales of hyperconverged solutions running VMware vSAN™, was the largest hyperconverged infrastructure software vendor during the first half of calendar year 2017.(1)
The company will host a conference call today at 2:00 p.m. PT/ 5:00 p.m. ET to review financial results and business outlook. A live web broadcast of the event will be available on the VMware investor relations website at http://ir.vmware.com. Slides will accompany the web broadcast. The replay of the webcast and slides will be available on the website for two months. In addition, six quarters of historical data for unearned revenue that include year-over-year comparisons will also be made available at http://ir.vmware.com in conjunction with the conference call.
# # #
Revised Fiscal Calendar—Year-over-Year Comparisons of Quarterly Results and Sequential Change in Unearned Revenue Balances
VMware revised its fiscal calendar effective January 1, 2017. VMware’s first fiscal year under its revised fiscal calendar began on February 4, 2017 and will end February 2, 2018. The period from January 1, 2017 through February 3, 2017 was recorded as a transition period and was reported as a separate period in VMware’s Form 10-Q filing for the first quarter of fiscal 2018.
Year-over-year comparisons of quarterly financial results included in this press release and the attached financial tables compare results for VMware’s fiscal 2018 third quarter (August 5, 2017 through November 3, 2017) to VMware’s fiscal 2016 third quarter (July 1, 2016 through September 30, 2016). Sequential changes in total unearned revenue and unearned license revenue for the third quarter of fiscal 2018 compare VMware’s total unearned revenue and unearned license revenue balances as of August 4, 2017, the last day of the VMware’s fiscal 2018 second quarter, to the respective balances as of November 3, 2017, the last day of VMware’s fiscal 2018 third quarter.
VMware’s website is located at www.vmware.com, and its investor relations website is located at http://ir.vmware.com. VMware’s goal is to maintain the investor relations website as a portal through which investors can easily find or navigate to pertinent information about VMware, all of which is made available free of charge. The additional information includes materials that VMware files with the SEC; announcements of investor conferences and events at which its executives talk about its products, services and competitive strategies; webcasts of its quarterly earnings calls, investor conferences and events (archives of which are also available for a limited time); additional information on its financial metrics, including reconciliations of non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measures; press releases on quarterly earnings, product and service announcements, legal developments and international news; corporate governance information; and other news, blogs and announcements that VMware may post from time to time that investors may find useful or interesting.
VMware, VMware Cloud, vSphere, AppDefense, NSX and VMware vSAN are registered trademarks of VMware, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective organizations.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Reconciliations of non-GAAP financial measures to VMware’s financial results as determined in accordance with GAAP are included at the end of this press release following the accompanying financial data. For a description of these non-GAAP financial measures, including the reasons management uses each measure, please see the section of the tables titled “About Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding the expected benefits to customers of VMware products and services, as well as VMware’s intention to acquire VeloCloud Networks, Inc. and the expected complementary nature and strategic advantages of combined product and solutions offerings after the acquisition’s close. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in consumer, government and information technology spending; (iii) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the virtualization software and cloud, end user and mobile computing industries, and new product and marketing initiatives by VMware’s competitors; (iv) VMware’s customers’ ability to transition to new products and computing strategies such as cloud computing, desktop virtualization and the software defined data center; (v) VMware’s ability to enter into and maintain strategically effective partnerships and alliances; (vi) the uncertainty of customer acceptance of emerging technology; (vii) rapid technological changes in the virtualization software and cloud, end user and mobile computing industries; (viii) changes to product and service development timelines; (ix) VMware’s relationship with Dell Technologies and Dell’s ability to control matters requiring stockholder approval, including the election of VMware’s board members and matters relating to Dell’s investment in VMware; (x) VMware’s ability to protect its proprietary technology; (xi) VMware’s ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (xii) the ability of the parties to satisfy closing conditions to VMware’s acquisition of VeloCloud Networks, Inc. on a timely basis or at all; (xiii) market conditions, regulatory requirements and other corporate considerations that could affect the timing and closing conditions to VMware’s acquisition of VeloCloud Networks, Inc.; (xiv) the ability to successfully integrate into VMware acquired companies and assets and smoothly transition services related to divested assets from VMware; (xv) the ability of VMware to realize synergies from Dell; (xvi) disruptions resulting from key management changes; (xvii) fluctuating currency exchange rates; (xviii) changes in VMware’s financial condition; and (xix) potential disruptions relating to the transition to Dell’s fiscal year and further business integrations with Dell. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this press release, are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including VMware’s most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K that we may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
VMware, leader globale nell’infrastruttura cloud e nella business mobility, aiuta i clienti ad accelerare la digital transformation. Le aziende si affidano a VMware per applicare con successo al proprio business e all’IT un approccio Software-Defined grazie alla Cross-Cloud Architecture e alle soluzioni per il data center, la mobility e la sicurezza. Con un fatturato 2016 pari a 7,09 miliardi di dollari, VMware conta oltre 500.000 clienti e 75.000 partner. VMware ha sede a Palo Alto e uffici in tutto il mondo. Per maggiori informazioni: www.vmware.com/it
Tel.: +39 02 30412700
Ufficio stampa VMware
Alessandra Merini Elisabetta Benini
Tel.: +39 02 700251
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
(1) IDC Worldwide Quarterly Converged Systems Tracker, 2Q2017